Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost ready to drop on the body but wanted to know if anyone had some pics of the rear splash panels. I'm not exactly sure where thay go. I've searched and found several pics of the front but none of the rear. Everyone says to pre-fit then remove before installing the body.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Sorry, could not resist.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
2001C5: Those are actually the front elephant ears. The rears are tucked under the perky butt and somewhat more difficult to photograph.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Some responses are more helpful than others...why show the front of the elephant, when he asked for rear pics :D

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
The elephant is showing the rear of his left ear.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
SD,

It is advisable to hold off on installing ears until after body is on. You will need to trim to fit. Playing the guessing game without the body on, is a formula for disappointment.

Unfortunately, I did not take any pics of that panel during my build so I can't help you with pics.

·
715 Posts
With the body on, Try them as supplied. I guessed that the bulb seal added 1/4 inch to the edge and accounted for that in my trimming. Once I got the general fit, I drilled 2 attachment holes and installed them with clecos. Mine seemed to line up pretty well along this line (pic), althogh I had to 'massage' the tank edge a bit. I did some final panel trimming and then drilled the remaining holes. I plan on riveting them after the body is on for the final time. Good luck

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve, Thanks, that's about where I thought.

HS, So I'll leave these off till the initial body mounting, then crawl under and fit them?

I have the front ears cleckoed on, the conduit for my footbox vents runs through them through a neatly cut 3" hole. That's going to make it a bit more difficult to remove and install them? Maybe I could lay them next to the frame with out removing the conduit, just the cleckos?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
You'll need to leave these off till body mounted.
Since most need to be trimmed slightly to match the body for a decent seal. No real way of knowing untill body on. They also stick out a good bit and body would need to be pulled out to the sides to clear them when going on or off.
No reason why you can't do like planed and just lay them along side frame till body on. Long as you have some give to the conduit so they can be tilted as such to use some snips to trim the edges where needed. On mine I used plated self tapping screws instead of rivets to hold the panels in. Taking out a few screws so fender well can be removed makes working on the car much easyer since it opens the wheel well back up. Having acess to suspension,master cylinder,light wireing and even grease fittings is much better with panels removed by undoing a few screws. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.