Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter I changed the rear drum brakes on my car to disks.

I used the following parts:
‘93 cobra brackets from LMR
‘93 cobra master cylinder
‘93 cobra/t-bird calipers and rotors
Ford Motorsports proportioning valve
Wagner pads

I did not change the pedal or booster which are stock foxbody parts.

I finally got to test drive her last night and my initial thoughts are that it requires more pedal effort than with the drums.
The proportioning valve is set at full pressure. If I really stomp on it I can lock up all 4 wheels, slightly less pressure will lock up the fronts.
I feel like with the drums I could lock up the front wheels with less pedal effort than it takes now, but it feels like I have better control for threshold braking than before the change.

The back brakes are probably not fully bedded in and will likely improve with more driving.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,542 Posts
Actually, your balance sounds close. Not the issue. I suspect rear pad material, plus the action of the discs compared to your drums is resulting in the new feel. What pads are you using? Have you done a high-speed panic stop yet? I suspect there you will find the discs superior.

Reactions: Gbeck

·
Junior Charter Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear pads are Wagner Quickstop Ceramic OE style. I bought them when there were shortages during the pandemic and they were the only thing I could get with free shipping.

I’m not sure what the front pads are, some type of OE style, probably semi metallic.

I also replaced the tires last year.
the car definitely stops better than before. I had a panic stop a few years ago with the 12 year old tires and rear drum brakes. I basically locked up the fronts and by the time I could react I was already in the ditch. No damage luckily.

now the car stops better with less wheel lockup.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,542 Posts
SC,

Next step is to improve brake pads material. Look into pads with a little more grip. EBC, HAWK, others. Not too much aggressive, but a little more. You will be surprised at the better stopping.

I bias the pads with Higher temp in front, higher initial bite in back. HAWK HPS in back, HAWK HP Plus in front. Stops great, but dirty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts