Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's decision time and i'm trying to decide between rear disc brakes or drums...i'm doing the 5 lug conversion and it is a street ride after all (maybe an occassional autocross)...also i'm going to use the 94+ front large cobra discs up front...and sticking w/manual brakes..i like the gee whiz factor of rear disc's, but let's face it...it's a 2200 lb car soaking wet and the drums stopped the much heavier mustang w/o problem...i've heard some pro's and cons of both...i figure the money i save w/drums can be put to good use elsewhere...and i can always do a rear disc conversion later down the road if i want...what do ya'll think..
i personally think the 11.5" rear disc is an overkill, but i've been wrong before..
i'm building this car with a "bang for the buck" strategy

oh yeah...go falcons

·
3,645 Posts
I have the standard 11's up front and drums in the rear (same thought as you) decided to put my money into a 428PI and toploader.

It stops fine.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Naga still has rear drums and the only downside I can see is that I don't ask them to do enough work. Rignt now I'm trying to figure out how to change the proportion. The system, as you noted, is set up for a much heavier, much much more nose heavy, Mustang.
Rear disks are somewhere in Naga's future but not this winter for sure.
Grego, take into account a thing called "opportunity cost." Will it cost more if you wait? The passenger roll bar is an example of opportunity cost. Just try to add the attachment sockets later....
Rear disks, not so much. Maybe Richard Oben will let us know if a price increase is in the offing. That'd be the only reason to do it now rather than later.
Do everything everyone suggests on this forum and you'll end up with a $50K FFR. :D

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Charter Member
503 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the stock front disc's and rear drums with the 5 lug setup. I've put 4400 miles on it and think the brakes are good BUT, I'm going with the powerbrake setup when the body comes off for paint. Put power brakes on now and upgrade to disc in the rear later on. Chris

·
3,760 Posts
I am going 5-lug drums. Funcionally, I just don't think discs are needed for the type of driving you'll be doing (I'm in the same boat in terms of intended use).

I've always believed that the limiting factor in brakes is the tires. If your braking system can lock up the tires, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do to improve it -- the tires' coefficient of friction would be the next thing that needed to be changed.

That argument goes out the window if you were going to be doing some serious track time or road racing, because discs have an advantage over drums in fade and heat dissipation. But that is some serious competitive driving, which it doesn't sound like you'll be doing.

Finally, looks would have played a part for me if I were going with an open-style 17" rim, for example the FFR Bullits, because the brakes are clearly visible behind the wheel. In that case, I probably would've gone disc just for aesthetics. But I really love the look of the Team III 15" Halibrand replicas. Which means you can't see anything behind the wheel anyway. Dollars saved.

AJ

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Several weeks ago I asked the Forum directly if there is a measurable difference in stopping power - rear disk vs rear drum. The answer basically was 1) no, 2) disks are good for track use because of fade resistance 3) disks look better. I don't disagree with any of these. I'm keeping my drums and I'm using FFR Bullets. Someday I might change over for appearance sake but that's the only real reason I'll have.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have drums on the rear of mine. I've done about 10 autox with it and 4 open track events. The only time I noticed an issue was after several laps on the open track, the brakes started to fade. Other than that, they work OK.

Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
I put 8k miles on the car with standard front disks and rear drums (4 lug). They stop well and the only complaint I have is that the rear drums need frequent adjustment. The adjusters work off of the e-brake and this is rarely used because you can't reach it. The manual MC makes this more noticeable. I'm in the process of changing to disks now, but only because I want to open track the car. The stock brakes stop the car just fine. One other thing. Put a good set of Hawk pads on the front. Best investment I made.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Grego,
I have the 5-lug drums on sale @ $30.00pair. I also have the 5-lug axles with drum kit for $205.00. New 8.8 3.55 or 3.73 rearends are in stock again too.
Mike Forte

·
Registered
32 Posts
Grego,

I'd put the discs on just for ease of maintenance. I always hated working on drum brakes. It took years to for the dirt under my skin to disappear after I slipped installing a spring on a drum brake...

Frank Powell

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Go drum rear and save the $$$. You can always upgrade later. I was going to go drum rear until a '95 GT came available. It has 5 lug, 4 wheel discs already. I'm going to look at it this week. For street use the drums should be fine. Ask around for someone in your area to let you go for a drive in theirs and experience it first hand. Good luck,
Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts