Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the 4 lug tbird rear disc conversion. I had an annoying squeak from the left rear so I put it on the jack stands and rotated the rear wheels. Boy do these wheels wobble. Is it common to have a wobble in the wheels that is noticable?

The calipers just go back and forth, back and forth on the slide pins.

·
7,906 Posts
I found that some aftermarket discs did not fit well over the Mustang hubs. If you look inside the disc you will see a radius on the inside diameter. this keeps the disc from fully seating against the face of the axle. Either grind the axle flange down a little or find discs that fit.

·
Premium Member
16,570 Posts
I remember reading that when using the T-Bird disks the outer diameter of the axle hub sometimes had to be machined down slightly to sit properly in the disk. Might be worth checking.

HTH, Rod

·
Charter Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. You two have reaffirmed my suspicions. I know the cast/machined rotors will not fit with out machining the axle. I finally found two composite rotors and they fit over the hub, but wobble. I will check the areas you two have described.

Thanks again,
Branden

[ September 04, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: TwinTurbo ]

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The composite rotors fit the aftermarket do not. The mustang hub is 6.025 and the Turbo coupe is 5.95 or something. We have run into this before. Email me if you need rotors, or go back to the parts store and get the composite ones. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,526 Posts
When I went to my local parts store and ask for composite rotors for a '88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, the owner said he could order them for me but he didn't recommend them. Said he had too many returned for not fitting properly. When I told him they were going on a '93 Mustang rear end he told me not to worry, the OEM premium machined rotors would fit and work fine and of course if I didn't like them I could bring them back.

Well, Gilberto had never steered me wrong, so I ordered a pair. They fit perfectly. Not a bit of wobble and they stop just fine.Don't give up Branden, good rotors are out there!

·
Charter Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I found a set of composite rotors but they do not sit well on the hub. I'm looking for some OEM Premium machined like Calvin has.

Calvin- Which parts store did you get yours from? You wouldn’t happen to have a part #?

Thanks again,
Branden

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,526 Posts
Branden, I purchased my rotors locally here in Eagle Rock after talking to Richard Oben over the phone. I try to support my local businesses whenever I can. Give Richard a call. He's a good man to do business with and will take care of your needs or direct you to someone who can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts