Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows the difference between the carrera coil overs from Vintage Motorsports vs the bilsteins coilovers from FFR?
wich one is better?
Any information would be apreciated
Ricardo

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
I've been asking VPM and FFR similar questions the past few days trying to figure out the advantages of one over the other. FFR coilovers are 2 inches OD, whereas VPM's are 2.75inches. If you are running a solid axle, you might have clearence problems between the VPMs and quad shocks. They bolt up fine with some, but clearly won't fit with my quad shocks.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
There is a thread on the VPMs on this website. Do a search on rear axle coilovers. Note from Craig claims diameter is 1 7/8 inch, which would match FFR. I was told they are 2.75 inches, which is too large to clear.

Don: Any chance you can go out and measure your's?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
1,595 Posts
The springs, according to the instuctions that came with mine state that they come in 1 7/8 ID,2 1/4 ID and 2 1/2 ID.

Bill G

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Our coil-overs use the same diameter spring as the FFR coil-overs. They are 1 7/8" springs, which is measured from the inside diameter. 2.75" is the outside diameter of the spring. Both our kit and the FFR kit have the same clearance with the quad shock. It gets real close with both kits and also depends on which quad shock you use.

Craig

·
Charter Member
262 Posts
I got the Carreras from VPM. I'm glad I did because they have bump stops that you can cut to suit. My front Bilsteins didn't have that which I think contributed to one of them breaking at speed. I wish Craig had some Carreras that would fit my front end.

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
I have a solid axle 4-link and I am running the VPM coilovers, with quads, a 5/16 inch wheel spacer, with 17x10.5s and have no issues at all.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,696 Posts
I'll just throw in here w/ a lot of past experience w/ various shocks etc-The bump stops that VPM sends w/ their shocks, combined w/ the 200# springs, are the closest thing to having your cake and eating it too that you can get.By that I mean, good ride combined w/ good handling.(Yeah, I have added Koni bump stops to my Levy koni DA's to go w/ my 180 springs.)

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
Nope -- thanks anyway. I'm going to order VPMs tomorrow. If they don't fit, I'll toss the quad shocks in the pile of spare parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts