Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bolts provided with the kit for the lower shock mounts barely thread through the metal lock nuts provided. The parts inventory list indicated 3" for the lower mount and 4" for the upper mount.

Is it acceptable to replace these two bolts with longer Grade 8 (1/2" - 13) bolts from Lowe's for the lower mounts? 3.5" bolts would be perfect.

This is scary to see that these bolts are not long enough to thread through the nuts. :eek:

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Those arent the only ones you will run into. Run up to the store and grab some good grade 8 hardware. I ended up drilling the lower sleeves out and the 3-link brackets so that i could fit the bolts from the hardware store b/c none matched the exact diameter of the ones in the kit. Actually, i dont even remember having lower bolts in my kit-i think i tried to use donor bolts, but they were too short as well. Good luck-you will also run into this problem with a few other areas. Not sure why factory five hasnt fixed the problem, but it has been brought up several times in the past.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
i think you will best suited long term to buy the entire cabinet of grade 8 bolts from Lowes (too bad they don't have metrics, cause you could buy that cabinet too)...you eventually will buy the whole thing a bolt at a time...at least I feel that way

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Troy;
I did the same thing that Cobrastang did. I bored out the control arm sleeves to 1/2" dia. and double nutted the grade 8 bolts until I get the proper lock nuts.

·
Junior Charter Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. What I did was I bought grade 8 bolts with matching thread metal lock nuts. this should work out perfectly. I even have to get a longer bolt for the 3-link upper control arm mount leg that attaches to the front of the pumpkin on the axle.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
FFR has been sending out kits for some of the short bolts. They are different lock nuts with a deformed thread instead of the nyloc style.

Dan

·
Junior Charter Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan, I did get those in the mail to replace the nyloc nuts, but the bolts still do not thread all the way through. They are just snug right now. I haven't tightened them yet, but I don't think the bolt will thread through with at least three threads showing after tightening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts