Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen pics of both. What are the advantages? Is there a need to move them to the front of the axle?

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Mine are on the back just like they would be on the rear I'm using. I have a 03 Mach1 rear end and I'm using it pretty much as removed from the Mustang. I still have two Mustangs so I can still use this rear on them too. I left all brackets in place and did not weld the banana bracket on. This is the same brake package used on the SVT Mustangs and I have plenty of room for shocks etc...

I don't see any advantage in moving them unless you need clearance.

Can't speak for other packages.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rear Caliper Location

The need for the calipers to be on the front is the lack of room to mount the lines in the rear. The coil over gets in the way of the line, once they are on the front you have better clearance and can use shorter lines (the lines supported for the kit work with the calipers on the front). This is the opposite side of where they are stock so you will need to swap them if using a donor axle. I found this out after completely rebuilding my mine. Drain the axle, remove the axles, swap the brakes. This should be in the build manual!!!

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
The need for the calipers to be on the front is the lack of room to mount the lines in the rear. The coil over gets in the way of the line, once they are on the front you have better clearance and can use shorter lines (the lines supported for the kit work with the calipers on the front). This is the opposite side of where they are stock so you will need to swap them if using a donor axle. I found this out after completely rebuilding my mine. Drain the axle, remove the axles, swap the brakes. This should be in the build manual!!!
It depends on the donor rear or new rearend assy you use. I had plenty of room without moving anything. The 04 Mach1 rearend I'm using is wider and has larger brakes than the GT. The additional width is an asset to my fenderless car. :icon18:

·
Senior Charter Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks guys, I think I will leave them on the rear of the axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.