Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting geared up to run the brake lines and was wondering if the donor rear brake line bracket that connects to the 2x3 cross frame is required or if there is an alternate for this connection?

Also and FWIW, I found the "union" (mentioned in the manual) that connects the two 60" brake lines in box 2A with the other brake line components and not in box 9A as the parts list suggests.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I would say it depends on the suspension. IRS and you can run hard line to the calipers, 4/3 link you need the flex hose to move with the axle, then flex at the calipers for rear disks.

Most folks use manufactured flex lines simply for safety. I am sure some of the vendors offer the connectors (Breeze & Forte come to mind).

Just remember -
We put good brakes on cars so we can go really fast...
How fast would you go without good brakes?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Many new builders, even with a 3/4-link, are using a T-fitting at the rear and running hard line around the frame side rails (near the shocks/coil overs) and then using a flex line form the frame down to the caliper/drum because the frame bracket and that special brass fitting is now obsolete.

There's photos on the Disc-Brakes-R-Us site where they did this with their last build.

If you decide you want to go the stock routing I have a good used frame bracket w/ brass fitting and a new stainless steel retaining clip. It also has the banjo bolt and crush washers, though I would buy a new flex hose. $30 shipped if interested...

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, running 3-link. Rear delivered with std brake lines to the pumpkin (flex lines from caliper to axle barcket...hard lines from axle bracket to pumpkin...flex line from block on pumpkin). So just need a way to connect the flex line from the pumpkin to the line going forward to the MC.

Thanks!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
I did mine like this, if it helps.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Originally posted by StephenP:
... IRS and you can run hard line to the calipers...
No, you can't. Flex line to the caliper is always required. Flex line to the axle doesn't apply to IRS.

·
2,746 Posts
Hi Brian,

Here are a couple pics from my install. I made the aluminum bracket shown out of a simple piece of angle from the hardware store, (like I do lots of my stuff).

So, do I understand that you have a hose like this one?

And you need something like this?

If so, you could use the donor bracket, but this was pretty easy to do.

Chris.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
I like my brake lines to be exact size. Do not like to roll lines. Buy a flairing tool its easier than you think. I like to use steel to the wheel area and braded from there to the caliper. Mounted all the hard lines on the frame.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The adapter you need to connect the rear flex line to the lines going forward to the MC is obsolete and difficult to find. You can purchase Tri-states rear flex line kit to eliminate the need for the adapter.

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
Brian:

Take as many fittings as you can off the donor brakes. Some of the fittings are real hard to find.

Like in Cwoods picture...the brass fitting in the 2nd arrow is hard to find later.

·
2,746 Posts
As DH says, that brass fitting is pretty much impossible to get. However, the flex line in my pic of my car is a part that you can still get from NAPA. It doesn't need the magic brass fitting, but hooks up to a standard brake line. As I recall, I did have to use one adaptor down on top of the pumpkin, but otherwise bolted right up.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - I have the flex line to connect to the adapter as shon in Cwood's bottom pic. I just need the adapter...sounds like a trip to the hardware store to see what might be available.

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
You can also use the rear flex hose from a 89 4 cyl mustang. You wouldn't need the coupler for that also. Just need to make a bracket to mount it to the frame. The hose will look like P Kingsley's picture above, but it will be a rubber hose, not braided.

·
2,746 Posts
Brian,

What does the hose you have fit in stock form? If it's a 89-93 Mustang GT, I doubt you'll find the adaptor anywhere. That is the reason I went to the hose I did. In fact, I think mine might be the late 80s hose mentioned in Scott's post above. The Tri-State kit could work well also, I'm not familier with it, but they sell quality stuff.

Chris.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys...maybe a mix up in terminology. The flex hose going from the pumpkin fits the FFR supplied brake line fittings so all I need is the bracket to provide the connection point. Looks like Tri-States sells them or I could go to the hardware store to see what kind of brackets I can find.

Thanks!

·
Junior Charter Member
294 Posts
Sorry, I am relatively new to this and have two questions: What year Mustang did the brass adapter fitting/banjo bolt set-up come from? I have a SS flex line like Cwood's and just need the adapter fitting and bolt. I understand that it'll be difficult to find one. As a back-up, I'll go with the Tri-states set-up you guys mentioned above. I could not find Tri-States when Googled nor on the vendor list here (I must have missed it).

Some help appreciated.

Fernando

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Fernando...

I still have mine, with retaining clip, frame bracket, etc. As I stated above, $30 shipped if you would like it...

Let me know...
Mark

·
3,217 Posts
Mark - If Fernando doesn't take it, I will.

·
Non-supporting member
1,164 Posts
I know Jeff at Whitbys was able to get them a year ago when they were obsolete. Yeah it a donor part but it's what you need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.