Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 33 Kit is on order (thanks Al) and I struggling with my first decision.

Having read a number of threads here and on other forums regarding braking issues, I have to assume by now someone can guide me toward the best solution.

I have ordered a new/refurb 87-93 Mustang 8.8 Rear end with 5 bolt axles and Torsen diff from WCC/FFR and have to decide what type of rear brakes to go with. Given that i've yet to read about the ideal power assist set up as yet, I will be staying with Manual WW dual MC set up from FFR with the standard 11" Mustang discs up front.

As for rears I am seriously debating whether to buy a 11" Rear Drum set up rather than the basic 11.65 disc pkg. #14834 from FFR. Without a power assist my feeling is the rear drum set up may be the way to go.

Thoughts?

· Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,825 Posts
The best brakes you could use on the rear is one of my 4 piston Wilwood kits w/ the internal park brake.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

After some consideration I think I will "Stick With The formula" and use the Mustang GT rear discs from F5. I have to figure they had an plan in mind when they decided on them.

The car will be less of a Race Rod and more of a Street Rod.

· Erik Hansen- 33Machine
1,141 Posts
Yes, they had a plan: least expensive option to get brakes on the car. If you're going to stick with them then at least do the Brakemotiv upgrade for discs and pads. HUGE difference. These rotors/pads in the kit are hard and are meant for power brakes on a 3500 lb car. They do not stop well.

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
Well said Erik! The Wilwood setup is great as long as your not turning hard on r-comps. Under hard lateral G loads the fixed Wilwoods have knockback issues. For the street they are great. I just raced this weekend against a roadster with the Wilwood setup and he was having to pump the brakes to get rid of the knockback issue. Funny thing is he did not know what the problem was until I told him so it was not all in his head.

I went a different route and mounted a set of 2 piston PBR's in the rear. I have run them for over a year and about 12 races. The system works fantastic with no pad knockback. If interested I can tell you where to source all the parts for a bolt on system.

Erik is correct! The single piston Cobra rears are very weak...about half of what the car needs for rear brakes.

14,825 Posts
There are no knockback issue with Wilwood if you set them up properly. We'll see how much fun you have the first time you have a PBR clamshell on you

· Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Whatever option you go with make sure your wheels fit around them. I'm using 15" back in the day wheels and the 11" Mach1/Cobra rear setup has very little clearance. VERY LITTLE.

I do have great pads and rotors front and rear. I purchased pads that stop great cold. My car will not see much spirited driving and I won't be able to wait for the brakes to warm up to STOP.

14,825 Posts
I have a 4 piston kit that will work with the 15" wheels.

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
There are no knockback issue with Wilwood if you set them up properly. We'll see how much fun you have the first time you have a PBR clamshell on you
That is great news Gordon. I am sure those guys trying residual pressure valves, helper springs, and 9" axles will be glad to know that there is an easier way. Actually this is the 1st I have heard that the knockback issue is really an installation error. I would guess that if the fix for knockback ever goes public there will be an uptick in your Wilwood sales.

14,825 Posts
You might. I believe there are some adapter brackets out there to put those brakes onto a live axle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.