Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
J. Salmon
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 8.8 rear for a "87-93" mustang and bought the Cobra R disc upgrade kit that takes the 87-93 to 95 Cobra R discs. The kit includes eveything to make the switch (new spindles, axles, hubs, calipers rotors etc) which was good for us as this is a non-donor build. The front end has - so far - gone together perfectly. Today we slipped the new axles into the rear end and they are WAY too wide. The axle part number on the box (F4ZW-4234-BA) is close, but not exactly the part number listed in the instructions (F4ZZ-4234-B). It is clear that something is wrong, and I hope we have the wrong axles (97 on). Anyone have any ideas?

·
J. Salmon
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a slew of parts in the kit that are "F4XX" parts, and so far everthing seems to fit. Keep in mind, it it supposed to be a bolt on upgrade for an 87-93.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you have them pushed all the way in? A few years back my son and I messed around for an hour with an axle that was "too long", and then all of a sudden it just pushed in where it should go.

Since I believe this kit increases the track width by 7/8", I would think the new axles should be about 1/2" longer than the ones you're taking out.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The new axles will be about 3/4" longer than the old ones. The upgrade kit you speak of (M2300K?) furnishes SN95 front spindles (you may have the wrong IFS brackets if you didn't tell FFR of your spindle choice) and SN95, not FOX, axles. You can use the new axles, but you'll have some limitations for wheel choice. If you want to use the old axles for a deeper wheel, Richard Oben can sell you some of his caliper brackets.

·
J. Salmon
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,
Please don't EVER assume that I have a clue what I am doing. In this case, we are definitely in enough, because we can lock the C-clips on and seat them back. The more I look at it, the more I think it may be OK, it just looks waaay too long. We are going to put it all together and see what happens...

Thanks for the help.

J. "clueless - but that's why I'm doing it" Salmon

·
J. Salmon
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe,
The old man seems to think you are right and that we are OK. Man, those things stick out (to my eye), but we will have to put it all together to see. You are right, we are using the M2300K kit, and we extected SN95 axles and have wheels to fit (I think...). I believe this is how we relayed it to FFR, and the front spindles seem to be OK. Would I know (without loading the front end) if the IFS brackets were wrong at this point?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Check your invoice from FFR to verify that you have the correct brackets. I also think it's real obvious if you have the wrong ones, anyway. PM me if you need any more help.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have the same setup. The dust shields seem too far from the rotors. Outside tire to tire is important. Measure it against the body. Mine is like 71 or 72".

r

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,542 Posts
If you use the longer rear axles, you would want to run a rear rim of say 17X9 with a 6.42" backspace to keep the overall rear end width closer to the FOX mustang width. I see from your signature the you want to run 315's, I dont know if you are going to be able to run them with your longer axles. You might be better off switching to the shorter axles and brake brackets to keep your wheel in far enough to fit the 315's. Once you get it all figured out, be sure to post your findings with all the specifics such as rim size and width and backspacing. I am running a 315's on a 10.5 rim on my Mark 1 with the standard FOX width axle and the tires will just rub on the body on a big dip in the road. I know the Mark 3's are a little wider for tire clearance but I dont know if its enough.
As for the front spindles, you can determine if you have the proper IFS brackets by checking here http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=046491
Hope this helps!

Mike

[ November 28, 2004, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: 5.8Cobra ]

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Ron, toss the dust shields in a dumpster and they won't look odd any more. The SN95 axles packed with the M2300K kit are 3/4" longer than FOX axles. Still usable, but the wheel backspace needs to be right.

·
J. Salmon
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all. When the discs are mounted, the calipers drop in perfectly over top, so we are looking good. I have found, one problem with the non-donor (if you are clueless to begin with) is that you don't know how things are supposed to look.

Mike - we have the 10.5 Bullet wheels from FFR with the 7 inch back spacing. They should slide right on, but I'll let you know. Its been a real challenge trying to order parts to fit together when its such a mix of stuff.

IFS brackets look good for us.

Thanks for your patience.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
711 Posts
I too used a rear end from Ford (M-4006-B355)and the Cobra R Brake conversion (M-2300-K).

I have no idea how these kits are different from yours, but the 315 Nittos fit my Mark 3 easily.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
The topic that never ends. First, Old Guy knows his stuff on this one - he helped me through. My rear setup is identical to yours - MKII, new 8.8 with new axles installed (assuming you got the ones I got I guess), M2300K setup. Today, with the FMS 17X8 "R" wheel, model M1007-D178, 5.72" backspace and 245X45X17 tires, the edge to edge tire distance is right at 68.5". The key is gonna be the wheel width (2" more for 9" and whatever backspaced wheel you choose - just as old guy said above. PM me if you need pics or more measurements.

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
636 Posts
I purchased a rearend from a wrecking yard out of a low milage 94 Mustang Cobra that has the 11.65 dia disc on it.But a 94 Mustang rear is wider so I had it narrowed 2 inches.
I discovered it was too wide when I put the body on to check a few things.
If you have your tires and wheels now it might be a good idea to check it out.(for tire to fender clearance) Thats my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Mike, the 94 rear end housing is the same width as the earlier versions. The only thing that changed was the axle length. So, you could have gotten by with changing out the axles and caliper brackets and not spent the money to have the rear narrowed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.