Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Pin drive front control arms with no adapters, the wheels are bolted on, so I have a deep dish. OK, here's the question. I'm looking at buying 16X11s for the front and have a possible line on some, but the current backspacing is 6".
What's the consensus? Will these fit or not? My current rims are 17x8s but I don't know the BS. I'll be measuring tonight.

I think I could use longer studs and a spacer, but I'd prefer not to. I can also look at steering restrictors to minimize interference.

Thanks in advance!!
John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
9x17s have a BS of 6 inches.I just can't see how you can add two more inches.Mine have 275 tires and these fit only cause i run 2.5 degrees neg camber.I do have the front low at about 3 3/4 inches so higher would buy some room but...Of course 16s are smaller OD than 17s so maybe..But i had some 225/50x15s on my mkI and they were about 25 OD. But the problem w/ small OD is they just look wierd.A few rambling thoughts!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
You are giving up an inch in rim size, but what tires are you planning on going with? As you go wider, you get taller sidewalls (for the same aspect ratio), so you might not gain as much from the smaller diameter as you think.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
11" is too wide on the front, sorry.
They will not clear the fenders.

The car is designed around the original fronts at 7.5" rim width, 8" tire width.

·
1,672 Posts
It have really wide tire but have flared my fenders ~4 inches to accodate them. I 17x12.5 in the back and 17x10.5 in the front .

·
Junior Charter Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, gentlemen! I really appreciate the responses. I checked the car last night and while I'm sure I can make that width fit, (only because others have done it) but I'm now equally sure I can't use the rims I was looking to buy with the 6" backspacing. I currently have 4" BS and there just isn't the room to move the rim two more inches inboard. It would hit the ball joint assy.

I probably should have mentioned that these will be dedicated race wheels and tires, so I'm less concerned with them fitting under the fenders.

Craig,
I will almost certaily be using a shorter tire. I'm looking at 25X12X16 for the rear and 23.5X11.5X16 for the front. I may go with the shorter tire in the back too. I like the idea of shorter tires for several reasons; you lower the ride height without the need for suspension mods, you increase the effective gear ratio, and you reduce the unsprung weight due to less rubber.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until next season to do this.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Have a great weekend!!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.