Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out and about yesterday, driving the Cobra in the mild Southern California winter. It's brisk at 62 deg, but doable. I make a right turn in a residential area and give it some gas. The car starts to spin left, so I correct and inadvertently hit the gas. The car is now accelerating FAST towards the curb. I try to correct but the car slams violently sideways into the curb. I drive slowly around the corner, stop, and get out expecting major body damage and who knows what else.

I find no body damage, although the body did creak very loudly when I hit. But the rear right rim is toast. Bent and mucho material ground off. The fire extinguisher that was mounted between the seats on the rear cockpit aluminum broke off and slammed into the passenger door. The tire didn't blow, so I was able to drive it home. I did notice that when the brakes were applied, the pedal pulsated. Not good.

Put the car on jackstands, removed the rear wheels, and found I bent the right axle. I also noticed I scrapped the right front rim. Not bad enough to replace.

No body or sidepipe damage. But about $650 to replace the axle, bearing, and seal; and get a new rim and have the tire mounted and balanced.

Anything else I should inspect?

Thanks
2FAST

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
PFFFFFFTTTT

·
3,760 Posts
Man, if we're ever in Vegas at the same time I don't want you at my Blackjack table, O.K.? Whew. I think you should change your handle to "Job", you are definitely being tested.

I'd check the sidepipe hangers even if the sidepipes look fine, they must've taken a good bit of lateral stress. Same with the gas tank fuel straps, fuel neck connections...anything in the general area that could've gotten lateral stress. The thing that concerns me the most is that you actually heard noise from the body on impact, meaning something was moving around.

Good luck 2FAST, this is almost all over. 2004 is going to be your trouble-free year, you've gotten more than your fair share of sh!t during 2003.

AJ

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks AJ. I think for the beginning of '04, I'll just get my speed kicks from playing my son's PS2 games

2FAST

·
Senior Charter Member
512 Posts
Originally posted by 2FAST4U:
The car starts to spin left, so I correct and inadvertently hit the gas. The car is now accelerating FAST towards the curb. I try to correct but the car slams violently sideways into the curb.
I had the same experience going around a turn. I went to hit the brake but at the same time I hit the gas. The harder I pushed the brake, the faster the car went. Finally, a car comming from the other direction stopped me. :eek:

For one thing you have to sit sideways, so your foot where the brake pedal is on a regular car is where the gas is on the roadster. Plus the pedals are too close togther.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Originally posted by 2FAST4U:
I think for the beginning of '04, I'll just get my speed kicks from playing my son's PS2 games

2FAST
Translation - 2FAST will be driving like a 100-year old senior citizen for the next six months.

As for what to inpsect - everything. For all intents and purposes, you were in a minor collision. Check everything. Leave no stone unturned. Get an alignment as soon as the car is back on the road.

·
Junior Charter Member
363 Posts
My 2 turd day only cost me $78 for the gauge and probably another $30 in radiator fluid and hoses.

2Fast - you make me feel lucky, but I'm not on the road yet either.

drew

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NEWS FLASH

All Cobra owners (and most other car owners) have mandated a "car safe zone" of 25 miles around the city of Moorpark, CA. Be on the lookout for an unsafe Cobra driver who goes by the name of "2FAST4U". He is considered dangerous by most accounts while driving, and is prone to hitting curbs, spewing coolant from broken radiators, or breaking down with bad starters/alternators. DO NOT STOP TO HELP THIS MAN You could end up being cursed as well

-Moorpark Daily Star

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Oops! But, here's a lucky same day story....

My brother-in-law is here in CA from MI and had to take him for a ride. My wife followed in the Vette with his girlfriend. We just crossed over the 215 Fwy on Scott road, no traffic, open two-lane country.
"Ready to see how this baby accelerates", I said..."Sure, hit it!" said my brother-in-law. At that time, I did not see the California Highway Patrol coming up the off ramp. Yep, he saw me...I didn't see him. :rolleyes:
My wife quickly pulled away from the stop sign putting herself between the cop and me. It was a scene from Smokey and the Bandit. Of course she had to do the speed limit with a policeman right behind her. My brother-in-law and I disappeared in the horizon. The CHP finally got around my wife, but a trash truck pulled out and blocked him again. Well, he never put on his lights...so; maybe he just wanted to take a good look at the Cobra. "Don't think so", said Cathy, " He had a pretty determined look on his face when I went by".

Lucky day! Never had a ticket in the Cobra yet! Thanks to a quick thinking and wonderful wife.
Thanks Cathy!

Rip's red one....

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
Do not forget to check your shorts! Glad to hear that you are OK. You have talked about rear suspension upgrades, now may be the time. Do you think the 4link contributed?

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay-

I don't think the 4-link played any part of this event. Just too much power, not enough experience, and the fact that I hit the gas instead of the brake. I'm glad no one was around, and no trees or poles were there. Hard to believe a thick aluminum rim could bend almost 1/8" and not crack. Plus I ground the lip off almost 1/3 of the way around the rim.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Do you think the 4link contributed?
I think it's the heavy tennis shoes. :D

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
OK, I take back my earlier posts.

That car is either gonna give you a stress related breakdown, a heart attack, or your gonna go postal.

SELL THAT THING! :eek:

SELL IT! :eek:

DO IT NOW! :eek:

SAY ADIOS MUCHOCHOS! :rolleyes:

BREAK IT UP INTO LITTLE PIECES AND BURY THEM IN AN OLD INDIAN BURIAL GROUND! :(

(That deserved gremlins)

Build something new. Have the garage blessed by every church or religious leader in town, call the Pope and ask for his blessings, first though! :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Too Fast,

I wonder if there is such a thing as traction tires for your car. With that much torque, probably not. And even the best traction may not have prevented the curb from jumping out at you. :eek:

But one always wonders if there is a 17" tire that can hold your back tires onto the pavement.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I had a similar accident with my 93 Trans Am. Make sure you check the gas tank. I cracked the fuel filler neck on mine....you don't want fuel vapors while driving.

Maybe go an check some of the torque on your motor & trans mounts too. With that beast, you don't want them to be loosened from the bump. Also check your control arms and shock bolts. Anything that may have come loose on the rear end. It had to be a decent impact to bend the axle and the rim like that.

Those are really nice rims and a great looking car...sorry to hear about this latest incident.

Maybe you should look into some type of traction control device for the car...something you can disable. Doesn't MSD make some new type of ignition that does that?

With that much HP in such a light car, this may not be the first time the car gets away from you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Too Fast, first I am glad you are safe with no injuries. I am also glad that there was no more damage then you posted.

I too have found, even with size 9 shoes that the pedals are close. I wear narrow running shoes with gummy soles to drive in but twice I have hit the gas when I wanted to brake.

I have done well over 20 driving schools with BMW. I am an instructor and what we teach when you spin is both feet in, one to brake and one to get the clutch in. I know things happened rather quickly and that every instance is a little different, but I agree with Cobra Earl, go to an autocross. You can spin there and the only thing will be flying cones,LOL.

I only have 500 miles on my car. The crate motor has just been broken in so now I can take it to a remote parking lot and spin it to see what reaction I will get from the car. If I get in a jam, hopefully I will be able to predict how the car will react. I will be able to take it on a road course next year to really open up the hp.

Have a Happy New Year to you and all that read this thread -- Herb

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Were the 500# rear springs still on? That would not of helped the situation. You should probably switch to 250# rear springs.

As far as tires, I like Yokohama's A032R Hard compound for a stickier street tire. These would help control the power a little and still last.

Craig

1 - 20 of 39 Posts