Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets face it Everyday there is a complaint about the pipes and how loud they are. I say FFR as a whole has they buying power to call a muffler manufacturer and get a proper muffler made, and offer it up to us at a fair price. These stinkbomb things we are provided with are pre historic . They do however sound cool . Make the call , get an exclusive deal sell them to us. You make it we need it . Anyone else in for real mufflers ,Flowmaster ,Bassani,Dynomax, Borla??? Keep up the fantastic Work !!! Bob Taylor

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Prehistoric?

...and what would you call a 65 Cobra?

Seriously here - or should I say HEAR...

These cars are loud. 99.9997% of us knew that going in.

Certainly FFR could build or source reverse flow chambered mufflers (at a cost) but would you be happy with the performance? I doubt it.

Horsepower is all about the movement of air. If you do something to restrict that movement, you make an impact on HP.
What about sonics?
Certainly you can use sonic cancellation design, but to do that within the confines of the sidepipe and header system without increasing the amount of restriction (see above) would be a real hat-trick.

Not picking on you Bob or anyone in particular - just growing a little curious about the whole sound issue and how it's being addressed.

Frankly - I think the best way to address it is to run the J-pipe system with a properly designed cross-over pipe and a chambered muffler such as the Lobak.
The rest of the solution is in making the car not resonate quite so badly. The doors of both the coupe and roadster are like guitar bodies. The use of sound deadening mat would help substantially.

Beyond that there are ear plugs.

·
5,559 Posts
Randy is right. Even though the sound level is always a hot topic on here, the same people would be the first to complain when their car didn't perform as expected. I really think (even though it's a pain in the a$$), that it is better to leave it up to the idividual to customize the pipes to meet their individual criteria. I think if they offered a crossover pipe like Randy mentions, it would be the best overall compromise, since it would greatly reduce the sound, but not at the expense of power, and best of all, the cost to FFR would be minimal compared to sourcing a purpose-built muffler.

I would like to see them offer a sidepipe option like one of the other manufacturers had with an integrated catalyctic (sp?) converter. that would allow us to run 4 into 4's while burning a little cleaner, and quieter.

Brian

·
Charter Member
707 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
60 Posts
Bob,

I agree, loud is one thing, FFR pipes are something else.

I added FFR cats and the noise level is alott
easier to live with.

TTFN
Jake

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I'm in agreement that everyone does know going in the pipes are loud. They are as a 65 race car should be. Problem is everyone is not happy or wants that sound or may be forced by law or freindship with their neighbors to at least knock some of the harshness down. Since I've been looking hard the last few weeks at options avalible it seems to me ffr could over a quieter pipe as a option for those that want them. personally I would like the option of being able to go back and forth between muffeled and non muffeled with little work involved. Side pipes made for corvetts have had this option for a long time with being able to choose between chambered pipes,pipes with replaceable sound inserts, pipes with adjustable sound level inserts.Problem is corvette pipes are 4" and ours are smaller diameter. If the same size all these same options would be avalible for use to us. Being everyones idea of the perfect level of noise is not the same an adjustable type insert is what I would like to see made avalible. I'm making my pipes two piece so the end can be removed when ever so different inserts can be used when wanted or removed when not wanted. Finding the right "type" insert is the draw back now.

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
I have the jpipe option with cats installed.

I don't think I have ever hear anyone complain that this setup is still too loud. To me it's just right

If you purchased the four into four header side pipe combination and find you're too loud I think you made a mistake when you placed your order. That is a very nice looking setup but not real practical from a sound standpoint. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
For some of us.....

They are not loud enough.

The car is what it is... Loud, Nasty, Obnoxious and Rude. If I wanted quiet I would get a Miata.

:D :D

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
I'm building a pipe now that has removable adjustable baffles. (really easy to change) And an optional super quiet insert for parades or if your going to use your car to commit crimes and need to quietly slip away. I have some really cool looking 4" id carbon fiber tubes. with 4" stainless pipes going into and out of. THey kinda look like Motorcycle pipes. The problem is, I probably won't have my car done to test the pipes till early spring. I'm thinking options on the barrel like colored carbon / kevlar, stainless, aluminum. I guess until I have pictures it's just a pipe dream. I'll keep you posted.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
I, for one, did not buy an FFR for all out performance (I wish, but budget is a limiting factor for me). i don't drive on the street that way, and i don't have the opportunity to run lots of track events with my family/Job responsibilities.

so, I agree with Bob's idea that it would be nice if FFR offered an option that considered guys that want a fun (and i mean VERY fun) car to drive on the street, as opposed to a dedicated race car, with a race car sound (even though i like it, it is too loud).

No, i don't think it's FFR's responsibility to produce this option, we all knew what we were buying. So i will send my money elsewhere...BUT i'd be happy to send my money to FFR if they had the option.

is FFR missing a sales opportunity here? how much money has the community of FFR owners spent on this issue?

·
Banned
130 Posts
I for one would be interested in buying quieter pipes. On the street I find myself soft peddling around so that I don't get busted for being too loud.

Also I think that it is worth mentioning that a properly designed exhaust would probably only steal a few % of the power.

At least having the option to choose would be nice,, everyone could get what they want

DD

·
6,332 Posts
Sound level and tone quality is such a subjective issue you'll never get a solution that satisfies everyone. I think however it is safe to say that you and those around you are more tolerant of higher db level that has great tone rather than a poor tone like the old glasspack blat. But here again, I'm giving you my subjective interpretation and you may love it.( the tone not my interpretation) There's another element that creeps into the picture, and that is state of tune of your engine. I have the Kook's/Tri-State 4 into 4's on my car that everybody swore sounded great yadda yadda. I must say I was less than thrilled (actually pretty disappointed) with the sound when I first got my car running, but after some serious tuning the tone improved to the point that it actually sounds pretty good to my ear now. Not sure though what anybody else thinks and therein lies the problem. If it's obnoxious sounding you want less volume, but if it's good a little more is not so bad. When it's all said and done I think you're pretty much on your own. What FFR sends you is just a starting place.
Frank

[ January 09, 2007, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Frank Messina ]

·
Registered
785 Posts
"Certainly FFR could build or source reverse flow chambered mufflers (at a cost) but would you be happy with the performance? I doubt it."

Performance vehicles do not have to be dangerously loud. The Ford Shelby GT 500, Ford GT, Corvette to name a few.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We should all be very aware and cautious on this issue. FFR owners/builders are not the only interested parties. As an example, remember when truckers becames enamored with the compression brake (Jake brake) a few years ago? The response to it's overuse was for city after city to ban them for disturbing the peace and being an all-around nuisance. I have heard rumors of movements against import car "can" mufflers already - can "loud" exhaust (a subjective thing) be far behind? I owned and drove race cars for over 10 years, so I fully understand the noise vs. performance argument - but some discretion here is probably a good thing. Personally, I practically idle my car out of the neighborhood and anytime the local police are about. I would like to see some affordable options - before they are mandated by someone who does not understand, or care, what this car is all about.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, we know they are loud but everday someone complains. I guess that .1 or .01 % make a lot of noise about it (oh that is a really bad pun) Sorry, Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
900 Posts
I bought this beast to be a BEAST.. I believe that could be a project for some one to tackle and find a need..There are a lot of venders out there that probably have looked at the roadster and said "how can I improve this and keep it kinda pure". That is the question that all venders have said to themselves and it isn't just for this venue.. Henry Ford had the same dream....and look......go for it and see what happens.....steve

·
Charter Member
707 Posts
You folks who think it is to loud could find a solution on your own or visit your local muffler shop and see what can be done. It appears to me it would be easy to cut down the factory side pipes and replace it with a baffeled muffler that would look close to the current. My point is dont complain if your not looking for solutions. Saying factory five should come up with a fix is not looking for a solution, that is saying some one else should! Dont get me wrong I know everyone has their own taste, but a v-8 is a v-8. You could cut out the stock muff's and replace with a set of Moroso spiral flow mufflers. Not as loud, they are cheap and look alot like the factory muff's.

[ November 09, 2006, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: 90notchback ]

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
Would it be possible to cut open the factory pipes, gut them, and install some Thrusters or something similar inside? I quess it would be an experiment to find out how it affects the performance and sound levels.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
I'm on Bob's side on this one. I would gladly sacrifice some HP for a quieter car. If you believe the posts about the "quiet pipes" being sold on this forum there must be a way to do it. Surely there is a muffler manufacturer out there that can make a 24" X 4" muffler that we could weld in to reduce the noise level for a reasonable price. Lobak is on the right track but they are still too loud.

·
Charter Member
768 Posts
The Gt500 and Corvete have a lot more exhaust system under them and catalytics to boot. The Ford Gt also has more exhuast system on it then the Cobra but not by much. I bet it costs a lot more than even our 4 into 4 sytems do. So if you want something as quiet as the Gt are you willing to pay the price for it? how much ? a grand? more ?
The Z06 exhuast system is titanium also. Cant say about the Gt500.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts