Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to order my MkIII kit and I have a question. The kit is advertised as having everything required except for the parts from a donor. I know there are tons of options available, of which I will be purchasing a few. What I would like to know is if you have a complete donor car and the MkIII kit, do you actually have EVERYTHING required to build the car. I'm just a little worried that I'm going to order a kit and find out that I was supposed to order some other expensive items in order to complete my build(I'm a skeptic, I know). I realize back orders are possible and that's not what's concerning me. In your experiences, are the kits complete in what you actually need, not including what you want as upgrades or options. Thanks for your help. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Hi, It's supposed to be the case that if you have a kit and a donor where everything you were going to need was there and usable, you would have everything you need to 'build and drive your car.

In practice, you'll be replacing worn out things and upgrading others.

This appears to not be the case (yet) with the new 4.6 engines though as Sergio and Dukegrad would attest but with the earlier cars, you 'could' be all set.

Clear as mud yet? :D

-HTH-

R

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Make sure you talk to other guys up in Canada. I have heard of huge problems getting kits into Canada. Make sure you are prepared for all the legalities to make it as smooth as possible.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So technically, if I order the MkIII and have a 87-93 Mustang with all usable parts, I should be good to go. I don't have a problem replacing worn parts and what not, I just don't want any surprises.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
The answer to your question is that in "theory" and in "theory" only the kit is complete to the point that you have everything you need if you have a complete donor car.

The "reality" is something different. In reality, you will not want to use or will not be able to use everything from your donor. A lot will depend upon the year of the donor. The older cars (pre-93) are worn out and many parts are often not useable (radiator is a good example).

Then there are things that come with the kit that you dont have to upgrade but most people do, like the gauges. But you will be surprised how complete the kit is. If you have a good donor and want to stick to the true donor concept, you can build a car without anything else.

HTH

Tom

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
If you are on a very tight budget, you could use everything there and upgrade at a later time. Usually as you tear down the car you will find many parts will need to be upgraded or replaced. It's up to you and what you want out of the car and how diciplined you are to the "donor" theory. This forum can cost you thousands of $$$. I haven't built yet, I've added 5k to my budget after reading this forum for awhile.

If you ordered the "stock" kit then you will need to chrome/paint roll bar $$. You will have to paint or ceramic coat sidepipes $$. Wipers $300. New rims and tires alone can cost up to $2,000. A decent paint job with prep will cost at least $3,000. The list goes on and on......

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
also you might be REQUIRED to have wipers (like here in california), and a backup light. the body has no provision hole the backup light, you need to install your own. you can probably find a lucas wiper set for less than FFR sells it for. (i learned this too late.)

·
Premium Member
16,631 Posts
Check with some of the other guys in Alberta to see what you need for registration. As Edward said, there may be some legal requirements. In Qc we require wipers, backup light and exhaust heat shields as an example (possibly others).

Cheers, Rod

·
Senior Charter Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely require wipers and a backup light, and maybe even a license plate light. I'll look into the other things as well. If there are any Alberta guys on here feel free to chime in. I'd love to talk to you. Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
343 Posts
Hey Sluggish...I recieved my MKII in March, no problems geting it accross the border. I got all of my backoreder parts 3 weeks after my kit. You will have all you need to build your roadster with a 87-93 donor, but there are a few other expenses like getting the drive shaft shortened, maybe new motor mounts, changing rear end gears, guages... Some of these are discretionary expenses, and others you need. Nothing major except paint. Where in Alberta are you?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I think I know how you are feeling, but if you have that 87-93 donor and the kit, you CAN build it just like that. Few use the mustang wheels, and those aren't a real cheap thing, most localities require wipers, and some have had nightmares that side marker lights and backup lights and things were required. Wipers do NOT come with the kit, but can be ordered from FFR or some of the fine vendors who sponsor this forum. A lighted licence plate bracket DOES come with the kit. I bought a lot of new stuff such as parking brake cables, all new brake parts while at it----the usual and they can add up. But again, those CAN be used and upgraded as You can get to them too. I think there is a complete list of what comes in the kit on the FFR site-- but I KNOW it's in the assembly book if You have one of those. toodizzy

·
Senior Charter Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have a manual that they would like to sell? Or one they'd like to lend until I can get one. I've been trying to get in touch with FFR for a while now but it seems their mailbox is always full and I can't even leave a message. And I have yet to get a reply by email. I'm just hoping they're really busy and I'm next on the list(maybe??), but regardless I'd really like to see the manual. thanks.

·
15,282 Posts
FFR will get you a manual. Give up on e-mailing them now. It's pointless -- just call. Sorry I don't have a manual on-hand to send you. They sent me several, since they kept sending the wrong one, but none of them are at this location.

Cheers, John

·
Charter Member
120 Posts
The FFR kit is really very complete, but if you spend any time on this forum, you end up spending a lot of money on great upgrades. You can build a great car with the donor and the kit, but everyone wants to personalize it immediately.
Take my advice, use this forum to get answers to your many questions during the build, and don't read any other threads. You'll save yourself a lot of time & money. But if you're like the rest of us, you'll read something new every night, and then lay awake trying to figure out how to order new parts without the wife finding out.
I was a skeptic too, but not any longer. Order the kit, and let the snake seduce you! It's a source of real personal pride!

By the way, the UPS driver has become a frequent visitor, and a big fan of my build! God bless Jegs too!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The wife has no problems with the project and its cost(approx$30000 I said)....yet. Of course, I do have to take her on a trip to Mexico at the end of January. I'm thinking maybe these two are linked somehow..hmmm. Seriously though, I will no doubt fall victim to the many options and personalizing toys out there, I just wanted to make sure that the kit was complete. Now to get a manual......

·
Junior Charter Member
343 Posts
Sluggish,

You might be able to get a MKIII manual from AL at Western Canada Cobra's...I'm still using mine otherwise I would send it to you. Let me know if you need his number.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.