Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Everyone here has touched on something that I would say except one thing. The Ride Quality. I am running the stock set up except non donor meaning Tubular up front and I have an 8.8 standard rear end with adjustable upper and lowers with Coil overs. Everyone is different and I'm sure someone will point out some day and ask why my cobra sits higher than others? That was one of the things that made it hard to enjoy was worrying about speed bumps pot holes and bumps in general some of witch would have me cringing thinking that I might crack the body someday when the wheels hit the fenders from bumps on the highway. Now that I have installed coil overs the ride is awesome more comfortable and I'm not worrying about every bump. What a Difference!!! I also put on a tire with a taller side wall witch helped as well. My whole point is that that little change made such a big difference in how much I enjoy the car. as said above these cars are the same but never two alike and you have to find that ground in witch it makes you happy. They are money pits and there have been a few times I thought if I just sold the car we would be better off. We have made it through a couple dark times and I am so grateful I never sold it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What I love about these cars is how easy they are to customize. I'm younger, so I maybe can tolerate some of the downsides a bit more but I've also had complaints after an 8 hour drive with the wife. Luckily, these cars are so easy to modify to your personal needs.

Exhaust Drone - Easiest fix. A number of off the shelf pipe options, or you can just add some baffles in your pipes to take the "bite" off. I built some adjustable pipes with vacuum actuated baffles to quiet it down under light loads, but took them back off until I could get the ceramic coated. Search the forums, there are some really creative guys here that have come up with some great modifications.

Comfort - I'm 6'4" 230lbs. I fit and rather comfortably but only AFTER I made some critical modifications. The most important one was opening up where the transmission tunnel comes into my knee. Moving that angle in made soooo much difference. I widened the foot well near the pedals as many have done and don't discount how much a difference it makes to put a 1" spacer under front seat frame rail to give a very slight recline.

Heat - Seal up every single gap! Even a small 1" hole between the body and the engine bay will blow hot air in the cabin like a hair dryer! Pool noodles, foam insulation, anything you can make work. Additionally, I added a second layer of stick-on insulation (Home Depot) too all the footwell walls underneath the carpet. Worst case, they sell AC units that will at least blow cooler air on you.

The hard fix is thre sun, after a hours in the summer sun you might want some shade for relief. That's why I got (and modified) my hardtop ... only for long drives. But I'd much rather have a nice bimini top that can pop on and off. The only ones I found were horrendous looking but I recently saw a guy in TX developing a decent looking one.

I was really wanting a new Mustang GT, love the looks, the performance specs and the idea of having climate control, cruise and the luxury items just sounded tempting. I rented one for a week when out of town and while I did enjoy the car and might still add one to the stable later ... I just kept thinking .... "This just isn't as fun and exciting to drive as my Cobra. I wish I had my Cobra!"

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
On the gas smell thing. Its easy to fabricate a filter for the gas tank vent. PVC tube & two threaded end caps filled with a bag of fish-tank charcoal. Splice it into the rubber vent tube with bayonet fittings & you are good to go.

EFI systems give off very little gas smell.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The headache could be coming from three sources ... the sun, the noise and the smell. Easy to test for sun and noise, drive on a cloudy day with ear plugs. I'm betting you are getting an exhaust smell from a rich running car. Puts out a lot of carbon monoxide that will give you a nasty headache. I'd try tuning first. Side pipes will put the exhaust right into the area where you can smell it. Undercar exhaust out the back may help.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,909 Posts
There are a lot of people that want a car that looks like a Cobra, but aren't prepared for a car that acts like a Cobra.

However, I agree that you may just need to make some adjustments.

·
6,559 Posts
On the gas smell thing. Its easy to fabricate a filter for the gas tank vent. PVC tube & two threaded end caps filled with a bag of fish-tank charcoal. Splice it into the rubber vent tube with bayonet fittings & you are good to go.

EFI systems give off very little gas smell.
Exactly what I did. I have a quick fuel carburetor and have absolutely zero gas smell in the garage. The only thing I can smell is the leather conditioner I just put on the seats. :wink2: You Gotta make sure your carburetor is tuned correctly with the right jets and pump shots. Like I mentioned before, take some pictures and you’ll be amazed at the progress you make from the results of the responses from others here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Follow up---got with my builder and have a plan of attack for my issues. The gas charcoal filter tube got loose somehow. Fixed, no more gas smell issues. All the other issues have a solid plan to fix. Thanks for the above mentioned changes you have made to your cars. I will implement some of them in mine. Happy once again!

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
Follow up---got with my builder and have a plan of attack for my issues. The gas charcoal filter tube got loose somehow. Fixed, no more gas smell issues. All the other issues have a solid plan to fix. Thanks for the above mentioned changes you have made to your cars. I will implement some of them in mine. Happy once again!
Awesome!

:)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It's a good thing you decided to ask on this forum. I have had nothing but luck too!

Jason

·
Registered
248 Posts
The car will be whatever you make it to be..mine has a footbox extension, GasN pipes (quiet-er, but not quiet, much more quiet can also be had, or skip the side pipes and reroute exhaust through traditional pipes to the rear) an automatic transmission, (AOD with elec overdrive and cruise control) seat heaters for cold days, is fuel injected rather than carbed, (no gas smell)... 3" silicon hose brings fresh air to the footboxes from the front ports and theres a strong fan that blows the heat out quickly even on hot days..High power stereo system with 8 speakers and a subwoofer can even be heard at 75 on the highway if your gears are high enough to keep your freeway RPM down. I drive 4 hours comfortably and enjoy every minute of it.
My point is: always remember "ITS A KIT"..figure out what will make it the Cobra of YOUR dreams, and go have some fun making it just like that. Most of all, have fun doing it. If you can't, be prepared to lose money on it, and take your lumps, because its probably not worth what you have in it.

John in California...

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've seen completed MK IVs as high as $40K and super performance as low as $20K. Unfortunately you are looking at $10K just to paint and extra for the body work. Put it on ebay for a minimum of at least 90% of the money that you have invested in it and see what happens. I'm having the same thoughts with mine. We've been plagued with rain since June 1st and I probably have only put 200 miles on it since the summer started.You can also list it on cobracountry.com. Just be warned that with used Cobra replicas, people are expecting to buy a gold mine for just a few coins.

Attachments

·
FFCobra Captain
11,685 Posts
Since it's gonna be a while till you paint it, it could help for you to get those pieces that fit under the door in place. Just put them in with some sheet metal screws. You can stuff the pool noodle in the space between the body & footbox to block some of the heat (and maybe fumes) from getting into the cockpit.

If you need to get it up on a lift at all, just come back to my place on a nice day and we can push the mustang out of the way for a few hours.

Let me know if I can help at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The whole idea re. Cobra is that you hear it coming before you feel it coming before you see it coming. Get some earplugs or a helmet. The kind that hang around your neck in a U work very well. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting/shooting-equipment/ear-protection/howard-leight-quiet-band-nrr-25-ear-plugs/p/1133864
Add EFI. EFI is great. I got 30 mpg on the highway - drove it everywhere. For those of you that have not started your builds, soft springs in the back, small front sway bar, and 15" wheels/tires make it ride a little better.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts