Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First in a Series of 6 Old Cobra Articles - Car & Driver Test The Shelby Cobra and Daytona Coupe. "Cobras, of which only 1011 were built - 356 of them 427s - routinely sell for forty to sixty thousand dollars. Only six Daytona Coupes were ever built, and they're priced accordingly: word is that there are collectors willing to pay more than $100,000 for one - though no sale has been that high yet." - Car & Driver, April 1981
http://www.ffcars.com/magazine/index.html

Don't you wish you had bought that $100,000 Daytona Coupe? Or how about a $40,000 Cobra 427? What a deal!

Enjoy!

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Bill ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
<start rant>

Man oh man. Isn't it just a shame to see the numbers these cars ran back then?

A 2600 lb. 475 hp Cobra running a 12.8? At 109mph?

If only they had the technology back then to manufacture good suspension equipment, as well as a decent set of tires.

Although for those of us who are 1/4 mile mobsters, it's probably a good thing. I mean, if "stock" cars had been running 11 second quarter miles for the last 30 years, 7 second Pro 5.0 runs would be laughable.

</end rant> :D

·
Senior Charter Member
393 Posts
What a "blast from the past!" A 20-year old look at a 35-year old car.

Waaay Cool.

Thanks.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: CobRat ]

·
541 Posts
Great! I want to see this as a "monthly" magazine - blast from the past. I hope some day someone will say, "$9,900. for a FFr? Wish I'd have bought one then!" :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Great idea to have these articles from the past!
I have hung onto a Car and Driver from December 1991 with a Red Cobra on the cover with the caption "Cobra! The car you've lusted after...and how to satisfy your urge!"

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Is there a page 9? The insert at the end talking about Shelby seems to go on...somewhere.

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolf 26:
Is there a page 9? The insert at the end talking about Shelby seems to go on...somewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, forgot to upload it. Youc an now read... "the rest of the story!"

·
Senior Charter Member
1,814 Posts
This is great stuff. Thanks Bill.

--------------------
Carman

My donor for FFR3???.
"Just a Ford type of guy"

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This article hasn't gotton many hits, does every know that you can read the pages?
http://www.ffcars.com/magazine/cd_04_1981.html

Just click on the page and it will enlarge. I have many more cool Cobra, Daytona and GT40 articles to post, but if they are not intereting to our visitors, then I don't need to take the time to scan and post them.

Just let me know if you want to see more.

Bill

·
FFCobra Fanatic
958 Posts
Bill,
I did enjoy the articles but it has taken me awhile to say thanks. You did a terrific job sizing them to fit as recognizable thumbnail and then blown up to a readable page without excessive download time. I know it takes a lot of work and planning. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts