Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I found that you can get the Plastic Dip product in spray form. This can be used on rubber and tools or what have you! This is a rubber spray on product.

Here is a link to a thread I started about Detailing your tires NOTE: that at this time I don't know how durable the stuff will be on my tires. > http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045488;p=0

Here is a picture of the tires painted with the Plastic Dip product.

I hope this helps!

[ October 17, 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Ace ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
IF,your lettering's not damaged,Wesley's Bleche-Wite whitewall cleaner.Flat out works.Spray on,let it sit for a minute or two,agitate with a brush,hose it off!It's great for taking brake pad dust off.It won't damage painted or polished aluminum wheels.Follow it up with something called Black Again and your tires will look great!It won't give your tires that greasy,Armorall look,but a nice semi-gloss glow.
Damn,I just gave away one of my detailing secrets!

·
I built it myself
641 Posts
My Goodyear Eagle ll's raised white letters look oily brown. They've been this way to a lesser degree since I bought them last Nov. I've tried cleaning them with brake cleaner (suggested by the Goodyear Dealer). I've used all the various tire cleaners and even emory cloth to scrub them. The emory cloth did the most good but in just a week or so they were brown again. Looks really like the black rubber is coming throught to the surface. Only the rears have this problem. The fronts bought at the same time but a different size are fine. Has anyone successfully gotten a claim through for defective RWL's with my problem. Thanks, Rick

PS, the dealer said I caused the problem by stacking the tires on top of each other prior to putting them on. Maybe 2 weeks. But they were shuffled around and all of them had a tire on top of it at some point. Also using their advice of brake cleaner and emory cloth worked but the browness came back. Seems to me if transfer of the rubber to the face of the white letters is the problem then scubing them clean (they never really got nice and white like the others) should've been the end of it.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Wesley's Bleche-Wite whitewall cleaner.Flat out works
That's the stuff I use. Just don't let it stay on the tires very long, or you wll have a mess. I spray it on, let it sit for about a minute, then wipe it off with a wet rag followed be a water rinse. Also don't breathe the fumes, the stuff is pretty powerful.

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts
My vote for westley's too. Get a fingernail brush and scrub with that. (just don't tell the missus where it went or was!) Works like a charm! IF your wheels are clear coated, it will stain them, so spray a mist of water on the rims as a precaution and rinse immediately after scrubbing the tires. I finish mine with Turtlewax tire wax, which also doesn't leave the tires slimy.

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Ace-

What size are your tires?

2FAST

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Thanks

·
I built it myself
641 Posts
Chuck, Mine were brown before the engine was installed. I can get them looking passable (if light brown can be considered passable) but they always look bad again in no time. I guess I'll give Wesley's a try. Thanks, Rick

·
I built it myself
641 Posts
<h2>Good News</h2> E-mailed Goodyear about the tires 2 days ago and they have offered to replace them under warranty less usage. With only 1700 miles on them it can't cost too much. I just glad to be getting some nice white letters to match the fronts. Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
512 Posts
I have the same problem with the rear tires. I'm sure it's from the exhaust. I tried Wesley's with out much luck. The best thing that I found was Comet and a brass brush. (grill scubber works really good.
It last babout 100 miles till they get dirty again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.