Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to drive almost 5 miles home last night in the rain. Damnit!! And since I don't have wipers, the drive was even more fun!

Finally got home and dried the car off. I wiped down everything I could. Hope the leather didn't get damaged.

Has anyone else had to cope with this? Any special things you did, that I may have missed?

2FAST (and all wet)

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I finished the car in May of 2003, and made my first long-ish excursion to FFR's open house in June. Drove the 90 miles home in a downpour with no top, no wipers and a huge grin. The car weathered the trip much better than I did.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I was fairly drenched. Actually more so than the interior.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
7,237 Posts
Longest trip in the rain was 4.5 hours to a FFROG meeting at Whitby's in Greensboro. Wettest was 2.5 hours to Carlisle. The car was just finished and I hadn't drilled the big drain holes in the footbox. Had my buddy "bailing" the passenger side floor area w/ a big chamois to make sure the water level didn't get up to the computer (mounted on the side of the footbox). By the time we got to Carlisle, the water level on the driver's side was an inch or more up on the seat! :D :D :D

5 miles in the rain??? You aint wet! :D

·
18,090 Posts
Why worry about the leather? If the cow didn't shrivel up and die standing out in the rain - your seats should be just fine. :D

I would just use a good saddle-soap and conditioner with lanolin on them. They should be just fine but the staples on the bottom side might get a little rusty though.

FWIW - I have ridden many miles / hours in the rain on my motorcycles with leather seats, saddle bags, jackets, chaps, boots - I lived and so did they..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Like Big Foot said, the cow got wet. Lexol works great as a leather conditioner and should be used periodically even if the leather stays dry. There's also two products that Griot's Garage sells -- one to condition the leather and one that will actually restore the way it looks if it's getting a little faded looking. UV protection is something to look for too.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Got caught in a down poor in Hemet. Took three days for the carpet to dry. Everything else was fine. The car preformed very well thru deep water and Rain X did it job on the windshield, except for the big trucks (lots of spray from the large tires).

I was told to place newspaper under and over your carpet and it will draw the water. After it sets a bit, toss out the wet paper and finish off with the hair dryer.

Yep, welcome to the rusty staple club, on you seats. :D

·
3,760 Posts
Forget the leather, I'm amazed you got that beast home in one piece on wet pavement, without impacting a stationary object!!!! :eek: :D

AJ

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AJ-

I drove it very, very cautiously since it was raining and it was at night.

2FAST

1 - 13 of 13 Posts