Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Rage Gold really that much better than Bondo body filler? I'm pretty happy with bondo-- the nose panel work on my old TR-7 and my GTV-6 has fooled a lot of people. What about the Rage premium filler? Has anyone had trouble with it not adhering to the fiberglass, especially around the cockpit edges, where I'll want to build it up to round the edges?

Also: where d'ya get the stuff? I haven't seen it on the shelves at either the local autoparts stores or automotive paint stores.

Thanks!
John Tennyson

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
The important thing to check is the chemical compound. You can put epoxy compunds over polyester but you can't or it doesn't bond as well putting polyester over epoxy. Sice the body is polyester based resin "most people" use either 3M HSFR and then Rage gold to finish, then during priming painters "typically" end the process with an epoxy primer before painting. Check out Street Rod Pinters FAQ 's there are lots of details their. Get the details then you can decide what you want to do.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
bondo = junk

·
12,662 Posts
Personally, Id not put any body filler on the car that would amount to a thickness of much more than a piece of paper. Body Filler Shrinks over a period of time.

BTW, Ive prepared 6 bodies for paint and non have ever showed the body lines. And ive seen Plenty of Expensive paint jobs that do.

Given enough time and flex, large amounts of Body filler will crack, shrink and eventually break completely away from the body... You have all seen it at its worst in door panels of cheap used cars with 3 year old paint jobs... Door panels flex. the body filler breaks away and just sort of hangs there and flops in the breeze.

Ive always used West Epoxy products to build up the ground out body seams.

BTW2, I used to operate a body shop...

cobraEarl

·
Registered
820 Posts
Originally posted by CobraEarl:
I just looked at the West Systems web site. They have a broad range of products. What combination do you use for building up the ground out seams?

Tom M

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by CobraEarl:
Personally, Id not put any body filler on the car that would amount to a thickness of much more than a piece of paper.

cobraEarl
So, how are you doing the seams if you don't use any filler thicker than that?

·
Charter Member
1,050 Posts
I concur with Earl about the West systems products. I found them very easy to work with and the finish was excellent. The mixing pumps make the product fool proof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts