Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to get some tunes in the car nothing big, can you hear it with haveing 2, maybe 4 speakers running off the deck, or is an amp needed? Also where did you place your speakers...

Eric

·
985 Posts
Where you place your speakers is everything. I have mine mounted in the headrests and they work great.

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
Make it easy on yourself. 200W amplifier in the trunk next to the roll bar.

What exhausts? I can't hear them, ...only music.

PG
FFR2503

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Eric, I only have two Sony Mobile ES Xplod XS-V1355G 3-Way, 5-1/4”, 160watt Speakers... requiring a cutout diameter of 4-13/16”. It was a tight fit but we squeezed them in there. Seven 1” holes were drilled for each speaker in the bulkhead to provide structural support for the carpet mounted to the extreme outside edge and in back of the rear bulkhead keeping them hidden from view. A single Sony XPLOD XM-1002HX 2x100w MOSFET Stereo Amplifier drives them. I can even listen to the stations on the head unit pulled through an amplified antenna mounted under the top of the rear fiberglass trunk shell... but I’d much rather listen to CDs through the Sony Mobile ES Xplod CDX-838 10-disc CD Changer with 12 second Advanced ESP mounted in the trunk. Once you listen to the awesome sound capability of CDs you won’t want to listen to your local stations through your head unit.

Installing a quality amplifier should add clarity and musicality to what you hear at any listening level. And consider a CD changer with extra loaded cartridges that can add an easy listening enjoyment arsenal to your “Land Rocket”. Finally all of the CDs are copies of the originals I have at home so we don’t have to worry about them disintegrating in the trunk.

Sorry about the LP to answer your original question... "I just want to get some tunes in the car nothing big, can you hear it with having 2, maybe 4 speakers running off the deck, or is an amp needed? Also where did you place your speakers..."

Nothing big!? You either enjoy unintelligible mumbling and static through a 3w or 5w generic AM/FM or Real Music! If you’re considering doing it and you’re going to invest the sweat and effort... do it right the first time... AMP that Bad Baby... and CD that Rascal! :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Eric - We felt the same way, just wanted to be able to hear some tunes, nothing an audiophile would go nuts over.

We bought the tranny tunnel fill in unit that goes between the dash and the tranny tunnel (I think from Tristates but I'm not sure). We put a JVC KD-SX980 stereo in there (plays MPG3 music so you can get about 180 songs on one CD). We bought marine 6" speakers from the local BoatUSless (water proof is important if you know what I mean). We mounted the antenna under the dash horizontally and the speakers also under the dash from the 2" frame behind the dash with some homemade brackets. Works fine. I can hear the music all the time except under WOT. It could stand to have a subwoofer but I haven't figured out where to put one yet. Ain't nothing like crusin' and having "Hey Little Cobra" playing in the background.

That's just the way we did it. When we were asking the same question as you, we got about a million responses and similar number of methods to do it.

Guess you're about finished with your build if you are thinking stereo.

Frank n Sons.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Eric - one more thing. Whatever you install, don't mix any black wires with red ones - causes a nasty electrical fire behind the dash. Yes it was fused but happened anyway. Now it has two fuses. Don't ask. John Phillips only had one fire, that was our second. Again, don't ask. Of course, John did it in a big big way.

Frank n Sons.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,012 Posts
Eric,

I mounted an Eclipse AM/FM CD in the dash (used the factory gauges and eliminated the Ameter). It was a tight fit but it's in, I have 2 6X9s in the deck between the seats and 4" round under the dash. The 4" are pretty useless, but I can easily hear the stereo at 75+. After spending some time on a motorcycle, I knew I needed something other than my singing to myself and this works quite well!!

Gratz

·
Mountain Snake
701 Posts
I have put in a really nice setup with Radio/CD-Receiver + CD-Changer + 4 BIG Speakers ...

Can't hear it while driving. Forget the stereo, you don't need it

Unless you get into a traffic jam ...

Cheers,
Stefan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Eric,
I have a little head unit (cd, fm/am) mounted out of sight behind the dash. I have a pair of 5x8s on the rear cockpit wall behind the carpet (just carpeted over them. I have seen 6x9 fit with modification. The head unit is 35W (but more like 10W) and I hear it okay on the highway. I know what song is playing or listen to races, games when driving. I do have to turn it down quite a bit when coming to a stop light. An amp would be better but I am happy with what I have. I hear it and that's all I wanted.

Sean

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yes you should be able to hear it without an amp...assuming...you have at least 40 x 2 reciever,and good speaker placement.I found that 2 4" x 10" 3 ways fit one over the other between the seats in the rear bulkhead and over the tranny tunnel.You lose any seperation but you can here it.I made a center console out of aluminum that goes from the dash down to the tranny tunnel cover for the reciever.I just finished the console off with carpet to match the tranny cover.If you are careful you can add side pieces to the console for 2 4" round 2 ways.With this set-up you'll here it but it wont be loud.

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
Eric,
All I wanted was somew tunes when speed and level of exhaust permit. I found a pioneer quad cassette deck on ebay for 50 bucks and installed it in a hand-made console unter the dash center with a pair of 4 1/2" speakers on the side panels and a pair of 5x7's in the angled panel of the rear trunk partition between the seat backs. You can crank it up and it is heard to about 55 mph when the exhausts take over. You can see my console in the FFR owner's gallery. Just enter collierville, Tn. and it will take you to the photos. The console I built also holds the stock light switches from the Mustang donor and the dash light dimmer. Since the photos were submitted to FFR I have aded courtesy light switch and a map light switch which powers the stock Mustang map light which is mounted between the seat backs to shine as directed toward the driver or passenger.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i will look into a small amp then and mount it in the trunk. I am also looking at an MP3 playing CD player so that will give me 150-200 songs on a CD. We will see how it goes.

By the way my car is done and on the road for a year, this is just one of the winter upgrades.

Eric

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
hi eric ,i would add an amp if you can ,the out put of most receivers is rated in peak power which is also max distortion,thats what kills speakers not power(within reason)
for my install i went with horn speakers which the openings of are about 1-1/2 by 16 inches and they come out right above your shins,they mount to the 2x2,(i have pics if someone can post them)they are out of the way but will still give good imaging and a great soundstage,they are driven by a soundstream reference 500 amp,and i have an mb quart 10 subwoofer in the trunk driven by an ADS ps5 amp,i mounted my head unit and cd changer in the truck and control it with a remote control sony joy stick to keep it out of sight and dry,i used to be heavy into car audio and did some installs on the side so i had this stuff laying around waiting to go in something,good luck.....vinny

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Originally posted by Busa*Vinny:
hi eric ,i would add an amp if you can ,the out put of most receivers is rated in peak power which is also max distortion,thats what kills speakers not power(within reason)
for my install i went with horn speakers which the openings of are about 1-1/2 by 16 inches and they come out right above your shins,they mount to the 2x2,(i have pics if someone can post them)they are out of the way but will still give good imaging and a great soundstage,they are driven by a soundstream reference 500 amp,and i have an mb quart 10 subwoofer in the trunk driven by an ADS ps5 amp,i mounted my head unit and cd changer in the truck and control it with a remote control sony joy stick to keep it out of sight and dry,i used to be heavy into car audio and did some installs on the side so i had this stuff laying around waiting to go in something,good luck.....vinny
Sounds like a nice installation Vinny. E-mail me your pics and I'll post them.

[ December 03, 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: John Baker ]

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got it!!

i will be mounting this

next to my boost guage and A/F guage on my motorized panel i am making which will drop down from the bottom of the center of the dash. I will have my deck (MP3 deck) installed under one of the seats and have a small 2/4 channel amp in the trunk. I will see nothing and it will sound good.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
thanks john i will send a few pics when i was building,the car is at the painters now so i will send the others later,also what do i need to post pics?my own website or just a picture account at club photo or some thing like that,thanks,

eric, very nice i have the older joystick type remote,now i need one like that :D ....vinny

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they all come with the one like you, i found this one, ONLY sony makes one liek this with a lieel LED screen, sold separatly. So i now have to pick out a sony cd player

Eric

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Originally posted by Busa*Vinny:
thanks john i will send a few pics when i was building,the car is at the painters now so i will send the others later,also what do i need to post pics?my own website or just a picture account at club photo or some thing like that,thanks,

eric, very nice i have the older joystick type remote,now i need one like that :D ....vinny
Here are Vinny's pictures. I'll bet you can hear those at speed. ;) To post the pictures you just need a website to host them. http://wwgarage.com/ seems like a good option.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
thanks john,whats the easiest way to make a website,can i do it myself?,cause i have a boat load of pictures of my build and now that the car is almost done i would like to show it off and maybe help someone still building,thanks again.....vinny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts