Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m building a mkIV with an aluminum FE, I’m planing on installing a water tank with the driver side outlet, does anybody know if are there any radiator options that fit this configuration?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bob, I was hoping somebody might have done this already (for the original look), and might share their experience.
I think I could buy from the vendors that sell custom radiators that carry a ffr direct fit, I just need to know which vendor has done this before.
Buying an original style replacement would require to modify a lot of stuff because the ffr rad support is not the same.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,874 Posts
DS Radiator inlet

Backdraft sets up their cars this way, you might want to give them a call.

There is a F5 member here in Vegas that has that arrangement in his Cobra but doesn't have an FE.

His handle is VegasJack and is running a 5.0 small block but does have the DS radiator inlet - not sure who the radiator comes from but you might send a shout out to him.

Doc :beerchug:

·
Junior Charter Member
69 Posts
GM rad.

I have not yet installed it, but have a GM style radiator to fit just in front of the X member. I took my old FE header tank to a local radiator repair shop to have it spun 180 degrees so it'll plug into the driver side top of the rad. Then the bottom connection crosses from passenger side to driver side to plug into the water pump.
I want to say the Al. radiator is from Northern and about 24" so it fits between the hood rails in front of the X.

Reactions: Mexicruiser

·
Junior Charter Member
69 Posts
GM rad. is Speedway

I looked at the box last night. I was mistaken. It came from Speedway, no. 917347-24. It's 24" wide, ~19" tall.
Yes, I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Mexicruiser

·
Registered
6 Posts
Original cars used a '63-'67 327 Corvette radiator. It had mounting pins top and bottom, which would require custom mountings in our cars, and possibly modification of surrounding aluminum panels, etc. Just depends on how far you want to go! Would also allow the use of a brass unit, potentially three core, if you want that level of originality, too.

·
Vegasjack
117 Posts
Radiator

Backdraft sets up their cars this way, you might want to give them a call.

There is a F5 member here in Vegas that has that arrangement in his Cobra but doesn't have an FE.

His handle is VegasJack and is running a 5.0 small block but does have the DS radiator inlet - not sure who the radiator comes from but you might send a shout out to him.

Doc :beerchug:
I just looked all over the radiator for a number that would indicate identity. Only number on it is: 040118-LY337 whcih doesn't show anything useful on a internet search. Well, I couldn't find anything. I would be happy to send you pictures of the set up. Runs fine, hasnever over heated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are many websites that will make you a custom radiator at a decent price. Just send them the specs. I have used a company for this once and also had a custom dimension muffler made.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
I have 4 different versions of my big cooling systems for these cars with inlets and outlets to fit any engine configuration.

·
Premium Member
427 S/C, Alum Side-Oiler, TKO600, IRS, Pin Drive
65 Posts
I installed a 482 Alum Side Oiler with Single 4 Barrel and Turkey pan. The Radiator I used is the Original Fluidyne with the proper expansion tank and OEM Coolant Pipes from Acton. He is a pic before the turkey pan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts