Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a minor disaster and major mess on Sunday when the return hose to the water pump blew off and sprayed water/antifreeze all over the engine bay and the garage floor. I got to the car in time to hear a little growling from the water pump bearings which went away as soon as the engine cooled and was refilled with coolant. No evidence of head gasket damage or water in the oil. Thankfully, the engine runs well at all rpm.

Still though, I need to know if this is a problem I haven't seen before. After the mess I washed the engine bay and no doubt got water into the front of the radiator. Now, when I bring the car up to temp (185) and shut it down, I get a small amount of steam coming from the front of the radiator after the engine is shut down. It's about 45 deg in the garage. I'm pretty sure this is just residual water in the fins which will eventually evaporate after I run the car on the street.

This was a close call - will never go inside with the engine idlling again - could have been a motor meltdown if I arrived 5 min or so later.

Input welcome..

·
Banned
69 Posts
Rebel,

Could this be coolant that is caught between the fins of the radiator? If so, you may want to get behind the radiator with a air hose and blow it out.

·
8,356 Posts
Did the same thing a few years ago: Battery was not charging and left it running while I made a quick jump into the parts store (not for a battery)and forgot to turn the radiator fan on. Came out 5 minutes later and the rad cap was venting. Shut it down, let it cool, got a jump and went on my way. Now even with new battery, I carry a jumper battery with me at all times. Lesson learned - NEVER leave any car running unattended.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chrome - I think you're right.

Dale - that's the lesson I learned. I was headed to change clothes to go for a drive and just happened to glance through the garage door window. If I hadn't it would have been a $$$$ mistake.

One other comment, the hose blew off where I used a barbed coupler to connect two different sized hoses. At the time I thought I needed hose clamps but eventually ignored it. Look what happened! When you get a feeling about something - listen to that intuition!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts