Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show me your overflow tanks. I can no longer use the one that bolts to the stock radiator and the cheap-o generic Checker ones look like crap and have a lousy mounting system. I looked at an aluminum one today for $50+ but and would like some options.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
If you wanna go the cheap way, I've got one out of a 91 integra that's yours for shipping.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I finally decided to purchase one of summits polished aluminum over flow tanks. They look very nice and are easy to install. I believe it was $49.
Mike K

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I just bought a nice all stainless overflow from Forte's. $70 if I remember right. It's about 3" diameter and about 12" tall, nice polished stainless. Not the cheap route but the look is very nice.

Mike M.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
Mike, it looks like Narve and I have the same tank.

I had an aluminum one installed but when I was chasing cooling problems several years ago I couldn't see what the coolant level in the tank was doing. So I went with the translucent white plastic one. May not look quite so cool but works just fine and it's easy to see what the coolant level is.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
Last year while on vacation with my family my son brought with him a VODKA that was is in a spun aluminum bottle. I do not remember the name of the Vodka but that is what I plan to use. I am not crazy about the cap, it is Chromed plastic, I think I am going to paint it black. The best part is it is free.
Tim

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Narve and Jim, did you get the recovery or the overflow model?
http://www.jazproducts.com/index2.htm
Seems like I need one with inlets top and bottom right? I looked at a similar one locally but it had only the top inlet and a drain/petcock.
Jack, that's a nice offer, thanks. Money isn't the issue (or even looks) so much as getting one that's able to install securely and works right.

·
BLUBLUR
990 Posts
I spent hours looking ar members' pics of their set up, browsing Jegs, Summit, etc. deciding on a replacement tank.

Hang on Mike. I will take a pic of what I did...went from Jegs 9x3 polished stainless tank (almost $50) that IMO just not big enough to hold the all the expanded coolant.....to Speedway Motors $42 16x3 SS tank with a twist cap on top so u can look-see coolant level...VERY NICE. Mounting was easy, I couldn't be happier. I'll take pics tonight, post tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
Mike

You can swap the inlet to the bottom and put the petcock on top. Make sure the petcock stays open and run a small drain line to the ground in case of overflow.

I had an inlet from a black Summit bottle so I swapped that onto the bottom of mine.

Jegs carries the recovery version.

Mark

·
BLUBLUR
990 Posts
Mike,

Yes, it is that size and I thought I would get the same as shown in the picture but what came was better...it has the same twist cap as the 2" diameter tanks they sell.

Both the overflow inlet and outlet to atmosphere are at the bottom so no extra hose needed for the outlet as it is already pointing to the ground.

Inlet takes 1/4 hose....if you are using 3/8 overflow hose from your T-filler (if u are using T filer), no problem. Just get a 1/4 NPT to 1/4 hose barb, 1/4 NPT to 3/8 hose barb, and 1/4 coupler to connect the two. I got them from Home Depot.

I'll post how I mounted mine and what I used tomorrow.

Philip

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
Be sure to get the 3" tank.

The 2" tanks are very borderline for a 302. My JAZ tank replaced a 2" stainless tank.

·
BLUBLUR
990 Posts
Narve is right. Get the 10x3 or better yet, the 16x3. You want at least 1 qt capacity, IMO. I got the 16x3.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, think I'll go with the Speedway 3X16 model.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
For what it's worth (what it cost you), I like the KISS method. Being able to actually see the fluid level in the overflow tank is an important safeguard in my opinion. So I plan to run a translucent tank. I've purchased the one from FF, but I'm in the hunt for something that looks a bit better. How bout sources for nice looking translucent tanks?

Sherrell

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.