Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a fairly large rock to my radiator today. It bent up some fins and also bent a couple water passages. I feel lucky that the radiator held. I think I need to put a grill on the opening to give myself some protection. I'm looking at Breeze's aluminum grill and it says that you need to take off the lower radiator shroud and then reinstall it after the grill is in. I actually got the radiator from Breeze a while back and it sits more in the center of the opening, so the Factory Five shrouds did not fit. I made new ones and decided not to drill into the body. I was able to attach the lower shroud to the bottom of the radiator lip and I used some bulb seal where it tucks under the body. It wound up being very sturdy, but I don't think I would be able to put it back in with the grill in the way. Does anyone know if I would be able to get the grill in and secure it without taking that shroud out? I was thinking maybe I could do something from around the top of the radiator from the engine compartment. I'm going to give Mark a call, but any help would be great.

Fred

·
Junior Charter Member
1,712 Posts
A friend of mine turned me on to this - Honeycomb Radiator Protector, 19 x 26 Inch

I just cut it to size, set it in and it worked great this past weekend. Apparently circle track racers use it on the dirt.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
A friend of mine turned me on to this - Honeycomb Radiator Protector, 19 x 26 Inch

I just cut it to size, set it in and it worked great this past weekend. Apparently circle track racers use it on the dirt.
I used this same Nomex honeycomb piece on my Mk3. It's a good product and I also recommend it as a quick easy solution. It's pretty stout, and would slow down the hit you took. But I'm not sure would completely stop it. For my Mk4 build, I went up a notch to some SS mesh from Pegasus Racing. Their part number 3641-24X36. I mounted it in a frame and then mounted on the radiator surround. It was possible to do everything through the front opening.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
X3 on the honeycomb radiator protector!
FullSizeRender.jpg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,723 Posts
Obviously a protector can't hurt but is it worth the trouble. That damage can be 90% fixed in 5-10 minutes w/ a small screwdriver. It's not a leak so no big deal.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,042 Posts
Obviously a protector can't hurt but is it worth the trouble. That damage can be 90% fixed in 5-10 minutes w/ a small screwdriver. It's not a leak so no big deal.
Wish Mel & I had a "radiator protector" a few summers back when we were in Idaho with the Utah cobras and 600 mi. from home. Yup, took a rock in the rad(leak) out in the middle of no where. Just saying--(It does happen)lol
Butch

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Between 2 cars I've clocked almost 20k and haven't gotten major damage (LEAK!) yet but I'm also thinking I'll do something.

The stuff MikeW is showing does not look like the Honeycomb stuff I've seen. Naturally there's a thread here and some people have painted the Honeycomb protector Black (it looks like a light red?).

I've studied it in the Speedway catalog.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Between 2 cars I've clocked almost 20k and haven't gotten major damage (LEAK!) yet but I'm also thinking I'll do something.

The stuff MikeW is showing does not look like the Honeycomb stuff I've seen. Naturally there's a thread here and some people have painted the Honeycomb protector Black (it looks like a light red?).

I've studied it in the Speedway catalog.
Yes it is the honeycomb product that is sold by Speedway. I painted it silver before I installed it to make it less obvious.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I use the same honeycomb material that Tim mentioned.
I spray-painted mine black (takes about a full can for good coverage).
I laid it in, then used 3 small zip-ties, inserted like pins (not zipped), through the Honeycomb and through the radiator slots, just to hold it from sliding. The zip-ties can be inserted and removed easily for cleaning (catches a LOT of bugs). Hose it off and hit it with a soft bristle brush, cleans up well.
:wink2:

May not stop a big rock completely, but should prevent fatal damage, and MUCH better than unprotected.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I made an egg carton grille for my roadster. I had it mounted for a few months and ultimately decided I didn't like the look, plus the thin 1/8" aluminum flexed a bit. Another option.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went with the Pegasus expanded stainless mesh, surrounded it with an aluminum angle and flat piece, had it powdercoated black, I think it will work well. Car not on the road yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is the honeycomb product that is sold by Speedway. I painted it silver before I installed it to make it less obvious.
Mike,

How hard was it to paint? My radiator came with a blue AFCO on it. I was able to remove most of it, but wound up having to paint it to get it to look right.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Mike,

How hard was it to paint? My radiator came with a blue AFCO on it. I was able to remove most of it, but wound up having to paint it to get it to look right.
I fit and trimmed it with a sharp utility knife to fit exactly between the tanks on the radiator. I then spray painted it with Hi-Temp silver paint (used nearly the entire can to get complete coverage). I then layed it over the radiator. I used an aluminum "Z" shape that I purchased from McMaster Carr on the lower end to prevent air from getting under it and pulling it out of place. I used the same lower screws that hold the bottom of the radiator to the lower aluminum piece. Works great and has stayed in place perfectly. No increase in engine temp either!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This is stainless steel mesh from Pegasus Racing (Medium Mesh Stainless, #6 x .035 Wire) along with Mike Everson's radiator aluminum.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Since everyone is showing they're completed products, here's what I did with Mk4 #7750. Planning to duplicate with the current Anniversary build.

Used the Pegasus SS mesh, in a frame, then made new surround pieces replacing the FF supplied ones. These fit inside the QJ mounts and cover them completely. Four pieces: Two sides, bottom, and screen. Comes apart for installation through the front radiator opening.

After powder coat:

Installed with Dark Water splitter. The flash highlights the silver radiator a little more than what it looks like in person:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Used a screen door insert from Lowes. Less than $20 and works great. Cut a few inches off one end. Used Velcro to mount it. Did not change temperature reading at all. And it's easy to clean periodically

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
I have photos and instructions on here somewhere detailing how I did mine (1/4" mesh) but it's much like some of the other have shown. One thing; mine stands forward of the radiator 1 1/2". I had the guy ahead of me go off during a track day and it kicked a big a$$ rock right into the roadster's mouth at about 100 mph. It bent the screen in but stopped it before it got to the radiator (barely!). Moral of the story...leave some deflection space between your guard and the radiator.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts