Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the engine in yesterday and now I am trying to mount the radiator. From what I read I should wait to do the aluminum ducting until I get the hood on. Can I mount the radiator now so it would be secure for go-karting? My only issue is what angle it should be at. There is a lot of play in the bottom mounts. Should I just center it and bolt it there? I may have to lower it latter since my top mount strap sits about 3/4" off of the 1x1 square tube.

Thanks
JC

· Registered
598 Posts
I mounted the aluminum prior to the hood. There was no issue with fit. There is adjustment up and down at the front of the hood and a sealing moulding on the top edge of the alum.

· Registered
342 Posts
I am in the process of doing the radiator/ducting at this time. I did do the body/hood fitment first. The actual angle of the radiator is influenced by the clearance underhood. Then adjust the ducting as needed around the relationship between the hood opening and radiator.

I suggest you mount the radiator and clamp the upper mount to the square tubes. Personally I would not drill your upper mount holes until I was sure of the correct radiator angle. I too have a gap of .75" between the upper mount bracket and tubing, however my radiator fits where I think it should under the closed hood (adjusted for angle).

The hood alignment should be based on its relationship to the cowl and rockers without any possible underhood interference. You wont need the ducting for go-karting.

· Registered
1,581 Posts

· FFCobra Craftsman
3,551 Posts
I loosely mounted the aluminum, with a couple of advel clips prior to mounting the hood. From what I can remember you can mount the rad temporaly (splg?) for purposes of running the motor.
I needed to re-fab most of the panels anyways.

· Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does any one have a good picture of the just the bottom radiator duct (the one that lays on the X brace) and the radiator? Which step goes under the radiator?

JC

· Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
I think if you want to be sure to get a good fit of the rad, ducting and hood you should fit the hood first and build the duct and rad under it after. Doing it the other way can be done but from what I can tell you have to either have done it before, have a car to copy or be very lucky in where you decide to set the pieces. I spent a lot of time fitting the hood and ducting but it all paid off...everything fits nice and square.

Marc

· Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
JC,

I may have one in my album but if there is anything there it isn't updated. I did end up modifying the lower aluminum pieces. I found the stock ones to be too flimsy. I'll be taking everything apart soon and I'll have to remember to take pictures...I don't recall what I did exactly but it turned out really nice and really solid. I managed to get all the ducting done alone but having another set of hands would have been ideal. I just took my time, used duct tape and clamps until I figured it all out. I measured everything with calipers!

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
I would also mount the nose first. If you mount the radiator and ducting where you think it should be and find you have to tilt or raise the nose later, the cowl lines and the bottom sides where the clamps are won't line up. There was for a while a period where the radiator mounting brackets were welded too high on the front of the 4" frame pushing everything up. I'll post a couple pics of mine so you can see the bottom of the brkt is even with the bottom of the 4". I also installed VPM sway bars w/o any issue later.

Also put some split rubber fuel line over the bottom mounts to protect the radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.