Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to stretch a 1.5" hose end to 1.75" to fit the return of the H2O pump?

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Put the end in boiling water for a few mins.
Then force it oner a trailer hitch ball (wear gloves)
then let it cool.

It will help, but it will still be a bitch to get it on the pump.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Ask your local (usually old-school) auto parts store if you can go in the back and browse through the hose rack. I found all sorts of great hose bits by doing that. Typically, you can find what you need - it'll just be attached to a bunch of stuff you don't, which can be cut-off and discarded (or thrown in the spare parts pile in the corner of the garage).

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
Like Ron said, you don't. Trying to stretch is out like that will pretty much guarantee a catastrophic failure.

Either buy a hose end adapter, or make one from some muffler tubing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hey Andy hows the build going ? I still need to come over to see what mine will look like in the future. Do you still have your rivit spacing tool that came with the kit ? Mine is on vacation somewhere in the garage. I'm waiting for the powder coater now so I can put my footboxes on for good.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,834 Posts
Been there done that. Heat up the end in hot hot water, lube up the hose with hose lube (AutoZone has it at the counter in a little packets), slip over the pump and leave it there for a day or two. It's still be a challenge to do while on the car, but easier.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,834 Posts
Also, make sure to use good clamps (don't ask how I know). I ended up using the heat shrink bands from NAPA, tremendous clamping power and they look good too.

·
Junior Charter Member
244 Posts
hose

What CCR said. There is no need to strech anything, Go to NAPA, they have a book that shows a ton of different hoses with pics and dimensions. Pick the one that will work in your application. I would do anything to keep from using that SS junk or streching the hose mouth to fit.

good luck: krusty

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
3,176 Posts
Different brands of hoses make a difference too.

I tried stretching a hose from Advance and it was never going to happen. Went to Autozone, got the "same" hose and was able to install it.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Do y'all know why some hoses stretch better than others? Lack of inner braid. It's a low quality hose.

If distorting and breaking the inner braid is what it takes to fit a hose, count me out. There's hundreds of them at the parts store, fitting the CORRECT hose properly the first time isn't that hard. "******* engineering" the wrong hose and getting it to work isn't a recommendation, it's a testimony to the fitter's skill level and expertise.

Don't damage your build with a cheap shortsighted solution. At $15 a gallon and a tow truck fee hours later, you are just setting yourself up for failure. Do it right, you won't mess with it for 75K miles.

Hey, I work a parts store, pay me once or pay me over and over and over and over . . .

·
Senior Charter Member
3,176 Posts
The lower quality hose wouldn't stretch.

The higher quality was far more compliant.

6 years and 20k miles the hose is fine. Frankly I like having only 2 connections on the hose rather than a spliced hose with 4 connections.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.