Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Advisor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came with my rebuilt 351w. It's blocking my water pump hose connection.
I'm guessing it's there to help set the crank and can be removed now? I just want to make sure I'm not pulling something off that is actually necessary. Or that it was something put together incorrectly?

Thank you in advance.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,617 Posts
That is usually used to set ignition timing. Is there another pointer somewhere?

·
Registered
922 Posts
what rich said. Pre 1969 SBFs had the water pump inlet on the PS and the timing pointer on the DS. you'll need a pump with the hose inlet on the DS.

·
Advisor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this is pretty crappy. I have pulleys and the radiator readied based on this one.

I get the right answer is to swap it out and start again.

Now the wrong question: If this is only for setting ignition timing, can I remove it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a combination timing pointer and mounting bracket for a crank position sensor. You can use a bent piece of wire to serve as a timing pointer, and if you're not running an ECU that requires a crank sensor, you can remove the bracket. Obviously, the WP, pulley, radiator inlet combo is all intended to married up

·
Advisor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's what I have, all matching but this little annoyance. I don't have an ecu either. I'm going distributor

·
Official OLD GUY
3,848 Posts
Where is the output side of your radiator? Should be on the drivers side lower. Your pump has its input on the PS, you'll have a tough time fitting hoses to get it all to work. In the position that inlet is now, you wouldn't be able to "see" you timing marks anyway, even with a wire pointer . . . also, that pump might be for a reverse rotation engine application, better to check it out and replace the pump with the correct one.

Doc

Reactions: David_T
1 - 9 of 9 Posts