Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any rules to be followed with respect to mounting these?

For instance, I was thinking about mounting my remote oil filter off (a reinforced area of) the driver's side F-panel, quite a bit higher than the oil feed. Will there be a problem with air in the lines? drainage?

Similarly, I am looking at mounting my overflow catchcan from the frame on the passenger side of the car. It will not be the highest point in the system (my surge tank will be) but it will be higher than a lot of the cooling system.

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
I would try to keep the oil filter as low as possible. If you mount it significantly higher than where the lines enter the block the lines will eventually drain back and will be empty the next time you fire it up. When this happens the motor will not get oil pressure right away since the pump is filling the lines instead of circulating oil.

The catch can is less sensitive, though higher is better so that gravity will give the radiator suction some aid in getting coolant back in to the radiator as it cools.

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
GECCO,

I thought the same thing concerning oil filter placement until I received my FE. It has an original-style remote oil filter mount that places the filter at about cylinder head level. Now I am wondering if height is actually a concern.

JT

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - that oil filter is mounted pretty high. Looks like there might not be any problems mounting mine on the F-panel ?

·
4,342 Posts
In all the inboard engined boats I've owned, the remote filters are mounted well above the pump level for access. Never had an issue with low oil pressure at startup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts