Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, i'm planning a rebuild on my car and looking at updating a number of items, has anyone used an aftermarket fuel tank like this? Can it be hooked up to be refilled like a regular gas tank?

JEGS Performance Products 15504 JEGS Circle Track Fuel Cells

I'd still like to be able to use the original style filler cap but want a better fuel tank than what I currently have.

Can anyone point me to anyone's build site that may have done something similar?

thanks!

·
7,976 Posts
What tank do you have now? In my opinion there is no better tank than the stock Ford one, unless you are planning on racing your car all the time. FFR offers a fuel cell that is a bolt in option. Hundreds if not thousands of cars are using the stock stuff with no issues. It's one of those parts that you just bolt in and forget about it.
Mike

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike, my car is not a FFR, but I am using an 18 gal jeep tank, I believe, that was included with my kit. It works fine but the size and shape of it really make my trunk useless. Not that I use my trunk very ofter but it would be nice time to time.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,086 Posts
Not sure how that is better than a stock Mustang tank. It is plastic, no cage, no bladder, no internal foam. Is that going to be safer in a crash than a stock Mustang tank?

IMHO, you either stay stock or go all out (Fuel Safe / true fuel cell)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks Rich. I have a few things to think about.

Where on the FFR site are the fuel cells they sell. I searched and didn't see anything in the roadster or challenge car catalog.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,654 Posts

I currently have an RCI cell in mine, but it's only NHRA approved, no where else. I do have it surrounded by a cage, and fed to an external fuel pump. It has internal foam blocks. I added the aluminum panels to hide the tank and full in the empty spaces. Since this pic was taken, there has been more protection put in.

I did have an issue with the foam blocks, they actually started to disintegrate, and clogged the fuel pump inlet screen. Not sure why, guessing fuel types?

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! Wow that FFR fuel cell isn't cheap!! More to think about anyways!
Cheers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
There is also this aluminum tank from boydwelding, I think it's a pretty good price compared to what a new mustang tank cost

Factory Five MK Roadster

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.