Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i definitely want to quite down my car, but i don't want a silent Cobra either.

I was looking at the exhaust section at Breeze and saw that they're now selling a set of pipes that i'd consider buying. there seems to be two levels of exhaust tone being sold:
1) Quiet
2) Super Quiet

what i'm ultimately looking for is to be able to drive the car without ear plugs, which i feel takes away from the overall experience.

i still think i'll wear ear plugs when on extended trips on the freeways, but i would like not to have to wear them when i'm crusing around town or on other short trips.

does anyone have these on their car? just looking for some feedback before i purchase. right now i'm leaning towards the "Quite" pipes (not the Super Quiet pipes).

thanks!

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
Do search there are a handful of these out there. I have them on my car. They sound good like a muscle car should, but extremely quiet and they have no bite. Bob (miata13 on the forum) did a awesome job designing these!

·
850 Posts
We are VERY interested in these as well, tired of wearing ear plugs in old 4402. Under full boost the noise is painfull.

Would someone be willing to post a short video of the pipes with sound...

Thanks,

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, thanks for the link for the video Mirko.

are those the Quite, or the Super Quiet pipes?

thanks!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,016 Posts
I've got 'em, got them a while back and really like them. Nothing recorded, just an opinion, nothing to record with! If anybody local wants to hear them, let me know.

edit: I believe that i have the quiet and not the super quiet as I already have cats and didn't need the additional parts.

Gratz

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Maybe Mark Reynolds will chime in and explain the difference between the "quiet" "super quiet" and the "gas-n-performance" pipes.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The Gas-N pipes are a straight through design like the FFR but have a longer muffler section (about 2") and are packed with a layer of stainles steel wool next to the core for durability and then a layer fiberglass for sound quality. We don't have any scientific data but they are quieter than the FFR pipe and are show winning quality TIG welded units. I notice Dave Rhia has them installed on his newly refurbished Red roadster in the FFR showroom.

The Boig pipes also have a longer muffler section also, but are a baffled design rather than a straight through design which for all practical purposes will never wear out or get louder over time. The quiet pipes (our designation) are designed primarily for people running cats already who don't need as much sound attenuation. Super Quiet have an additional baffle section and are for those runnning j-pipes or 4 into 4. Perhaps our designation is misleading as the end result quiet with cats and superquiet witout cats may be a similar sound level. They are mild steel and can be ceramic coated.

Hope that helps! Anyone using these pipes please chime in!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark,

thanks for the info, but i was hoping we could get more of an impression of what the pipes sounded like. Muscle sounding but not ear piercing? low rumble? Performace street car sound (a la Corvette)?

are they really too quiet as the info on your web site suggests? would you put them on your car? if you put the Quiet pipes (not the Super Quiet) on the 4-into-4 headers, what would that sound like? Or are the Super Quiet pipes the way to go if you're not running Cats?

i'm really hoping to get a gage of where each set of pipes ranks in sound level. would they line up like this from loudest to most quiet

loudest....
1. FFR
2. FFR with CC inserts
3. Gas-N pipes
4. Boig Quiet pipes (no cats installed)
5. Boig Super Quiet pipes (same as Quiet w/Cats)
quiet....

do i have these in the right order? maybe 2. and 3. are the flipped?

anyone?

Thanks

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
SCRacer,
Do you have the unfinished side pipes from FFR? I was wondering why you couldn't take it to a good shop and have them weld in a baffle? or add some steel wool? Obviously this would need to be done before they were coated.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have the ceramic coated FFR pipes. i got them with my kit when FFR was offering them already ceramic coated. i have 1,300 miles on my car in gel coat and know that i want to quiet down my exhaust because driving around with ear plugs is not my thing, and i feel i have to do that now.

i have considered buying some round mufflers and having the glass packs cut out and rewelded with the mufflers and recoat them, but the Boig pipes might be about as much, or a little more money, so i thought i'd ask.

the only thing with either route is i don't know what i get, sound wise. so that's what i'm trying to get a feel for. But i know i'm going to do something.

·
Senior Charter Member
496 Posts
you also need to remember that J-pipes are not as loud as the a complete 4x4 setup. My friend has J-pipes and they are loud but aren't physically painful to me. My 4 into 4's are very loud and are physically painful. When the throttle is fully opened, it's too much to deal with for me personally.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
I hear ya........no pun intended. I'm glad I read this post. Got my pipes unfinished thinking I was going to ding 'em up on install, now I'm glad I did. Plus the better half ain't gonna ride too far if it's so loud.

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
To add to Pete's list, I'd like to get a feel for where Lobaks (with and without cones) would fall.

I too like the idea of a quiet setup, but is it me, or does it sound a bit pricey especially since they are uncoated?

Perhaps we should lobby for a sound/setup check at FFR's annual Open House/Nationals and log some true data.

Marc

·
850 Posts
Mark Reynolds, Breeze Automotive...

Mark, is it possible you could supply the forum with a couple of videos of your pipes in action. We would like to hear both pipes at idle and revved. Us "older" guys would like some way to enjoy the sound of a Cobra motor without having to loose our hearing to do it.

Our goal; we would like to reproduce the sound of a mid 60's Corvette with side-pipes in terms of SPL.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
I plan on looking into Mark's super quiet pipes also. I have been from stock pipes to stock with CC inserts, to 24" Lobaks with CC inserts and finally to cats with 24" Lobaks and CC inserts. The final setup was nice until I bumped up the intake system and added boost. I took off the cats to dyno tune it and have been too lazy to put them back on, so I end up using my Ipod to attenuate the noise. This thing barks! I usually put about 15k miles on during the summer, so it's too loud. I feel the disappearing tail lights shows off better than the noise :D

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i've decided that i'm going with the "Super Quite" pipes.

i don't want my neighbors to be bothered if i leave early to drive to work, or if i come home later after some event...and i don't even want a second look from any cops!

my car goes out for paint in the next two weeks, so i'll be sending my pipes to Breeze for the $250 credit and hopefully have them on for the painted body.

it'll be a great Christmas present!

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Pete,

I want to hear those when you get'em put on! Maybe we can get Sergio to do videos with sound comparing our cars, and maybe Garry's or somebody with stock pipes.

I've been thinking about doing this myself--my Tristates (Lobaks) are right on the edge, and I wear earplugs for trips of any length. Also, I've been "warned" at the autocross a couple of times when I was bouncing off the rev limiter: now I upshift sooner, but I'm so close that I'm afraid when I go to AFR heads & a cam that I will up the sound level enough to be disqualified.

Also, I'm getting enough dings in the ceramic coating that I'll have to recoat my sidepipes in a year or two anyway.

Forrest

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.