Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting my trans and engine together so I can drop it on the car tomorrow but I have a question on the trow out bearing,

The bearing has a bump out on the area where the fork makes contact, I am guessing that the bump out is there to keep the bearing from spinning on the fork

the question is does that bump out goes on the front or back of the fork?

Please let me know if I am making any sense or do I need to post a couple of pics

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,255 Posts
The bearing goes on the arm in a very specific way. This quote comes from Ram:

"The clutch release bearing must be installed properly in the fork or non-release and accelerated wear will occur. GM and Ford applications with the spring clip in the fork end must have the bearing installed into the clip AND fork “C” so it is able to pivot properly to the clutch (see photo “A” below). This is the most common mistake we see in clutch fork applications."

Their site doesn't have a picture, and I threw mine away. But if you search the web, you'll probably be able to find it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I am talking about that bump on the above pic, where does that goes toward:confused:

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Okay, here's one answer from Modern Drive-line:

The throw-out bearing is best installed with the "bump" oriented toward the pivot point on the clutch fork, not the cable attachment point. The reason is that this orientation will help you in identifying a bad throw out bearing. The way this works is that the cable attachment end will tend to drop because of gravity, but a bad throw out bearing (if the "bump" is pointed toward the fork pivot point) will cause the cable end to lift. It should be noted that this can also happen when the grease between the throw out bearing and the transmission front bearing retainer is cold, so this test needs to be done with the car warmed up (and it takes two people to perform).
It should be noted that the bearing can be installed with the "bump" oriented toward the cable attachment point with no ill effects, but you lose this handy means of troubleshooting a bad throw out bearing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that is just what I was looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.