Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MK3 roadster I bought last summer has a quick release steering wheel. IMHO, the steering boss seems to have quite a bit of play in it though. If you press from one side of the steering wheel to the other side of the wheel, it moves about 1/4" of an inch (give or take).

I've never had a quick release steering wheel, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. Is this too much (it would seem so to me)? Granted, there has to be some room in there to easily get the wheel on and off, but a 1/4"+ of play in the wheel does not inspire confidence in my book... Anyone else out there with a quick release steering wheel that can share what is "normal"?

Assuming it's not, any recommendations on what to replace it with? And are these compatible with the Russ Thomson turn signals? I don't have the RT TS now, but I've had my eye on them. Might be a future upgrade! :) Thanks!

Corey

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Most of the time the steering play is not in the quick release hub but rather in bolts of the steering shaft by the lower universal joint. That joint has to be real tight to get rid of the slop.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
Clarification...

You mean that the wheel "wobbles" side to side, in and out, on the hub, not that there is rotational "play" in the steering?

I don't have a quick release wheel but can see that it might feel a little strange, but if you really want to feel strange try the "tilt column".

I put in one from my '88 donor and I do have a little more "wobble" in the wheel than you describe. I notice it when I'm situating myself in the seat, but normal driving doesn't seem to present a problem of feeling lack of control.

Regards, Rick.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Assuming the play is in the quick release, it boils down to component quality. A high quality splined unit will have almost no play. The six sided units have more play, and the really cheap ones are take your chances.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,502 Posts
I have a splined QR in mine, and it is tight, no play. I did make sure to cross-bolt, shim, and secure the spline to it was absolutely tight to the steering shaft. Check that end first.

My play was in the original 2-piece column, it had play. Yes, like above, check all parts of the steering system right down to the rack.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I adapted a NRG quick release system. It uses a steel ball bearing lock that has no play when attached. I did have to drill some holes to align to our steering wheel hub.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Call Mark at Breeze. He makes a very nice splined QR hub. I swapped my hex QR which was loose like yours with Mark's a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. It was a bit tricky to install in a completed car but still quite doable.

2X on making sure the steering shaft set screws are tight as well.

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Suspension

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean that the wheel "wobbles" side to side, in and out, on the hub, not that there is rotational "play" in the steering?

I don't have a quick release wheel but can see that it might feel a little strange, but if you really want to feel strange try the "tilt column".

I put in one from my '88 donor and I do have a little more "wobble" in the wheel than you describe. I notice it when I'm situating myself in the seat, but normal driving doesn't seem to present a problem of feeling lack of control.

Regards, Rick.
CRZN 427 - So there is no play if you were to push the steering wheel away, or pull it towards you. Likewise there is no play from side to side or up or down. The play is when you pull with your left hand and push with your right (and vice versa). I'm certain the slop is in the between the spline in the boss (I think it's the boss), and the spline on the steering shaft. Hope that helps explain...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All, ok, I'll definitely double check everything. Already took apart the quick release and made sure that everything was tight, which it was. I'll have to double check the bolts holding the column, tomorrow... That said, given that the play is not up and down or side to side (or in and out), but rather when you push with your left hand and pull with your right hand (and vice versa) I suspect that the quick release has just seen better days...

@johnnybgoode - I took a look at your picture in your post, and that looks exactly like mine. I went over to Breeze Automotive and found the quick release and I'm pretty sure that they are one and the same. So at least I know what I have now. :)

Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
Right...

CRZN 427 - So there is no play if you were to push the steering wheel away, or pull it towards you. Likewise there is no play from side to side or up or down. The play is when you pull with your left hand and push with your right (and vice versa). I'm certain the slop is in the between the spline in the boss (I think it's the boss), and the spline on the steering shaft. Hope that helps explain...
That is the movement I was trying to describe, the wheel wobbles on the hub, like the splines are worn.

Here is a desperate thought:

I assume the hub is aluminum. You might try putting it on a solid surface and center punch each spline, near the edge, (depending on how thick the splines are) to cause a little "swelling" at the edge, taking away the free play room. This would have to be done on a try it and fit it basis so as to not over swell them to where a file would be needed to get them to slip in place again. Depending on how thick the hub is it might need to be done on both faces. Lots of fiddling around to keep form buying a whole new hub, but if it is no good as it is now what is there to loose?

JMHO YMMV Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Talk to Karen Salvaggio about quick release.
be sure to keep it lubed & free of any rust ( R A I N )
An open Roadster is asking for trouble w/o maintenance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Multi spline quick release

While mounting the quick release I noticed there was a lot of play. Going back and checking I found that the entire steering shaft including the ball joints needed som attention.

After refastening there is no movement either side to side or in and out.

I have seen a number of quick release hubs that are sloppy fitting at the hub. The more splines seem to be of a higher quality than the ones that have a ball type release. The other week link is how they are attached to the steering shaft. I chose to weld mine on rather than using a bolt on type.

The bigger issue is to be sure that you have the wheel locked on to the hub. An extra tug on the wheel has become a way of life.

I also have a second wheel that I use for auto crossing. Good luck

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I just went out and did a wiggle test on mine and get about 3/32".
(In the steering direction there is no play - any turning of the wheel moves the lower u-joint.)
Everything that is manufactured has a tolerance - so it is possible your splined adapter is on the small side of the range and the hub is on the large side of the range.

I would first try a coat of spray paint on the splines to take up some clearance. If that does not tighten it up to your liking then I would try the peening method described above. If you don't want to do that you could remove the parts and send to me for inspection and recommendations.

For the record we have never had to replace either a spline or a hub - so that would be highly unusual - but anything is possible.

Mark Reynolds

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Sorry for being slow to following up on this thread. I've been rebuilding the interior over the last 2 to 3 weekends so that has consumed most of my time. So I did take a good close look at the quick release and upper steering assembly today though. Starting with the quick release, aluminum appears to have worn - if you look at the picture I think it is at a point where it just requires replacing.

@CRZN - I like your idea of using a center punch, but looking at how worn it is and the chamfered angle, I don't see how I could make that work.

@ Mark Reynolds - Two things. First I have no idea who manufactured this quick release assembly and I didn't meant to insinuate that it was Breeze Automotive (might be, I just really don't know). It just looks similar to one that I found on your web site is all. Second, I like your idea of taking up some of the room using spray paint, I suspect that a couple careful coats on the splines may do the trick like you said. However, my line of thinking is that if I were to do that, and I did end up having to replace the QR eventually anyway, I may not be able to reuse my existing spline - and that is welded to the shaft so I'd prefer not to have to cut and re-weld a new on. So I'm thinking I will likely just eat the cost and replace it. My OCD conscious will sleep better at night anyway.

Now on to the 'surprise of the day'. Earlier when I mounted the wheel on the steering shaft, I was giving the wheel a lot of force in all directions to make sure that the rest of the bolts and assembly were in good working order. To my surprise the steering shaft started to slide in and out if I applied enough effort :scared:. The more I messed with it the worse it got. I probably have about 3 or 4 inches of travel now (ugh!). I took a look at where the upper steering shaft slides into what I suspect is called the lower steering shaft (before the knuckle joint) but I couldn't see any bolts or set screws that would tighten things up. I resigned myself to take a closer look at it in a week or two when I pull the whole dash off for the upcoming dash rebuild. Figured it would be easier to deal with the issue when I could get easier access to it. I'm hoping that there is some sort of set screw that I'm just not seeing at the moment..

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
At the square tube, you'll see the bearing that the steering shaft slides through. I think it's called the pillow-block, but not 100% sure. That bearing will have two 'rings' that go on both sides of it. There are set screws on those 'rings' that stop the steering shaft from sliding in & out.

With enough force, the steering shaft is designed to collapse...so depending on how hard you could have pushed, it could be doing what it's designed to do.

You don't want to put a bolt through the steering shafts...that would prevent it from collapsing if you get into a front end accident.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The problem is most likely in the pillow block. I had a similar problem and when I took a closer look, it was the movement of the block.

A tightening and some locking liquid solved the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts