Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this topic has been covered but is there a right way and a wrong way to install the quick jacks. I have seen a ton of cars with the jacks facing to the outside and some facing inside. Is this just positioning preference? I know they are non-functional but if the jacks are to the outside, the jack itself would have a bit wider span to lift the car. Again, I have seen both ways, just wondering.. thanks for any input! mert

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
What ever looks good to you on your car (that fits). I found that "in" is much easier on the shins walking around the garage

My fronts have been off for over a year now. The backs are "out". I will put the fronts back on when I get the engine stand out of my garage. I'm not sure I remember how they fit. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guys, thanks for the quick info.. I see it is preference... I dont think anything on these cars is right or wrong, just preference... thanks again. They will go "in" to keep shin scabs down to a minimum ... thanks, mert

·
Registered
820 Posts
I thought that the "ins" were the 289 FIA cars and the "outs" were the 427 cars.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Heck, I've seen some "backwards" so the bolt heads are exposed and frontmost item. Not sure what's up with that.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
That is even easier on the shins

·
Senior Charter Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have bolted them up with the jacks to the inside and the bolts to the outside. I fastened them with acorn/cap nuts so I liked the look of them facing inward so I can see the bolts, I also think it looks better with the nose of the car. To each his own at the end of the day......thanks, mert

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
I run them backwards (in) also. Mostly because it seems to drive people nuts. Actually I think it is a cleaner look. The curve matches the body and they don't look like such an afterthought.

The 289s usually ran them in. The SC nose blocked access, so they appear to have been flipped to make them functional with little regard to look.

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
I am not using them at all that way they cant be wrong.
Sam

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have looked at track photos of original Cobras, and they apparently ran the jacks both ways: forks facing out from the body, and facing in. I will have mine facing in towards the body, but that has requried fabrication of special jacks, since the FFR ones will contact the body when reversed.

Note that the jack forks have one long leg, and one shorter leg. Apparently, the long leg was intended to face the body, since that made jacking the car quicker. The horizontal pipe that engaged the jacks slipped under the short legs and stopped against the longer legs to the rear, and then the cars were jacked.

But again, I see race cars with the jacks facing either in our out, and sometimes they were different on both ends of the same car. I bet whe chief mechanic had something to say about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts