Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 donor 5.0 with 53,000 miles, sounded good when took out. Should I rebuild the whole engine or do a head and intake swap, or just an intake swap? Would like to have when done 300- 350 horses.

What brand is best to use? Also forgot to mention am on a budget.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
If the 53k is accurate, don't rebuild just swap heads (AFR 165) and intake (FI or carb?).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
427 Posts
At only 53k miles, the short block should still be in good shape. You shouldn't need to rebuild it for another 50k miles. I wouldn't hesitate to swap out the heads/intake and go forward. You won't get 300+ horsepower with just an intake change. You should also consider a cam change to get the most out of new cylinder heads. Changing the heads, cam and intake should give you an easy 360-370 flywheel horsepower. Have fun.

Ken

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latemodel Restoration supply, has the Trick flow top end kit for $2249. and the holley top end for $2406. and the ford top end for $2169. What to do????? IAM pulling my hair out.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Bunky do you have any service records or reciets that came with the donor? Something that will prove it's milage such as oil changes,ect. Reason for asking is it's unlikely a 92 only has 53,000 miles on it.
If so it's a great find and would'nt heisitate just adding the intake and cam opposed to rebuilding the engine at same time.
Maybe pull a bearing cap off a rod and main to get a better idea of true milage.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,050 Posts
I think the big manufacturers { edelbrock, trick flow etc.} make a package that will get you there.
Or you can always just put a supercharger on it.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Pull it out, clean it up, drop it into the car. The stock with 225 is quite a bit for a 2300 pound car to begin with. (note that I focused on your term....budget). Extra cost = zero and you get to figure out what you want over time.

If you pull the oil pan, you can get a good idea by the shape of the rod bearings. Only a few minutes to check.

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jack, and everone with there help. Extra cost= zero I like that. But 225 hp i dont no??????????

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
I got a 94 with 50k and just re-did the top end. I basically used the Edelbrock top end kit. 385hp!

Think about passing emissions if you need to, before pulling the trigger.

Good Luck!
Rich

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
my donor had 71,000 on it and I qualified the mileage with the brake and clutch pads on the peddels they were used but no wear old trick most screwing with the odometer dont jack with the peddles, may or may nor be proof but gage the wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts