Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of fitting my pedals to my MKIII. I'm using an 87-93 pedal assy and will use a cable actuated clutch set-up.
Questions: How much pedal travel is required or recommended for proper operation?

·
8,272 Posts
Jeff

Depends on the clutch and linkage. You should have free play at the top of the pedal travel to ensure that the throwout bearing is not applying pressure to the pressure plate and you want a small air gap between the pressure plate and disc at the bottom of the travel to make sure the clutch doesn't drag. The top play adjustment is easy, and the air gap you can feel by having the car in 4th gear and turning the output shaft of the trans while you have the clutch pressed in. You can do this yourself sitting in the car as the trans is right by your elbow. If you cannot get enough travel on the pedal you will have to change something in the linkage. Either shorten the clutch pivot arm or enlarge the clutch quadrant somehow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My FE clutch setup requires full travel to operate correctly. In fact, I had to modify the pedal box to allow the clutch pedal to travel farther when depressed. This is all due to the custom extended fork.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Jeff,
I'm in the same boat and want my clutch and brake pedals to sit at the same height. Unfortunately, this will require me to depress the clutch about an inch or more. I'm hoping Forte's quadrant and adjuster will help me here. Haven't received them yet so I have to wait and find out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,
Thanks for you thoughts.
Katauskas,
Did you get an extended fork to make the clutch operation easier or was there another reason?
DMW,
I too wanted to have my pedals at the same height but that's not going to happen. When I moved my booster/master cylinder forward to clear the steering shaft, it also moved the pedal forward. Thats okay, because with pwr brkes, pedal travel is not really an issue. My pedals will be offset, I'm going to try to minimize the difference.

There were two other questions that seem to have disappeared from my thread? :confused:

Are the quadrants all the same dimensionally? I have a BBK quadrant that came with my pedals and it APPEARS larger than other's Ive seen.

And, the second question Mike answered. Thanks Mike.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
From what I can find the BBK is a larger quadrant, that is well past 90 degrees. I think you can use it if you have a cable with an adjustable end. When I say adj. end I am talking about the end that hooks to the clutch fork. If you go with the stock cable which is not adjustable you will have to use a quadrant such as Fortes. Get the firewall adjuster too if you don't have it.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
There's no return spring on the pedal or the clutch fork arm, and i think several older posts (2002 archives maybe) said the conventional wisdom was for the throwout bearing to "ride" the clutch fingers. The only real way you have to adjust the pedal height is with a torch or an adjustable cable and/or quadrant.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
Jeff

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,449 Posts
You can also check out Fiore's clutch kit, or, wait for me to finish my Hydraulic kit for the same pedals.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.