Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351w carbed crate engine with the motorcraft distributor. I did a search on Ford and cant find the model # to get the details. The tag reads :

6G17
E2TE
UA

I tried plugging in the above numbers in part and together and can't get a model # to come up. The plug on the distributor is a 3 wire. I have no mating connector. Using the instructions with the AAW wiring with the kit I have to figure out if this requires an external ignition ballast resistor or without a ballast resistor.

Questions: Ballast resistor or not? If needed what ohm and where do I find this? Where do I find the mating end to match the plug on the distributor or just cut off and put my own connector on? (Then wouldn't mate if I needed to swap distributors.)

I've gone non-donor and so-far picked up everything new. When I get things like a crate motor I don't have seperate paperwork for things such as the distributor to figure out what they are. I've been able to locate enough info to track down what I need on starter and alternator for this moter but the distributor has me stumped.

Thanks Guys.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Ford m-12199-c301 Ignition box, ( Duraspark.)

Mallory ML 700 or NAPA ICR23 Ballast.

The ballast keeps the module from letting all its smoke out.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I never would have guessed Duraspark Distributor from the info I had.

This is steering me in the right direction. Do most of you mount the ballast resistor behind the dash or does it need to be in the engine compartment for quick maint?

Frank: Thanks so much for the quick ref to the NAPA part #.

Michael S.: Your diagram is great but raises another question. I don't have an ignition module. All of the AAW diagrams are showing wiring from the fuse panel direct to distributor, coil, starter etc. The AAW diagrams do have differences between pages for the same item and it's frustrating. Your diagram will really help me cross check and hopefully get the wiring right the first time. Sounds like the key is knowing what components I actually have.

I'm starting to wonder if it might have been easier to pick up an MSD or similar ignition package and start from there. I remember them having pretty good instructions.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
...almost forgot

If you stay with this setup you can use a TFI coil for more spark.

The MSD will plug into that connector. You have to buy a certin pigtail.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Call MSD they make a conector that will allow you to plug and play note mine in the picture.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys. It sounds like I'll still have to order an ignition module. I'll take a look this afternoon at MSD.

I'm still a bit confused though. Why would the wiring diagram with the AAW harness show direct connections from the fuse panel to the coil and dist if I need to wire thru an ignition module? Can I pick up the plug that Joe C. has and still go straight to the distributor? I must still be missing something here. :( Yes or no on the ignition module?

Thanks again.
Mike M.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Forget the AAW diagram. You need a module. Duraspark = $35 MSD = $235.
Use the diagram I sent you or the wire diagram from the MSD or other brand. AAW is for a self contained distributor ie GM HEI.
You must of realized by now the AAW harness is GM based??? Right.

Michael S.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Mike,
I have the connector & MSD 6AL control box to make it run fine with a rev limiter for safety.
Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Michael S.:
You must of realized by now the AAW harness is GM based??? Right.

Michael S.
Actually I have been looking right past the obvious the entire time. Now it is all starting to make sense! I was really starting to wonder why nothing lined up with the equipment I had. I was really starting to feel like a dumb a$$,

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
The AAW harness doesn't know what kind of distributor you are running, so shows the generic set up. You have a Duraspark with an electronic module that can not trigger a coil without help. That help is an amplifier (Duraspark box) or multispark (MSD box). The reason for the cost difference is in the quality, duration, and number of triggers to the coil. I used the MSD box and MSD adapter that connects that plug coming out of your distributor directly to the MSD box trigger. You will then need to adapt the wires from your AAW harness to provide ignition source to switched power wire on the box (small red on the MSD) and direct battery to the larger power wire (large red on the MSD box). You will also run your tach off the box.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for being so patient with my questions. :confused: I looked tonight on the old spec sheet of the motor that Mike Forte posted and he told me that I needed this ignition box when I bought the motor from him a year ago. But I forgot all about it and reading the schematics really started to confuse the situation.

Michael S. "Hit the nail right between the eyes" I didn' realize that the supplied schematic was GM based, now the light is coming on! Still lots of questions but I'll get the MSD box and connector ordered.

Mark R. I was wondering exactly what you explained. $35 for a duraspark module or $235 for an MSD module. Without knowing anything about the two my first reaction is to go with the more expensive. I think that will be a good choice.

I'm really pushing to have this ready for first engine start by next week when my son is home on leave. He is starting his third tour in IRAQ at the end of the month and being able to do the engine start while he is here would be great!
All I have left is ignition, oil pressure, temp and radiator to get installed by next week. We are going to hear this finally come to life!

Mike M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts