Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting to work, with my son Troy's help, on my MKII. We have installed the front
suspension (Pro Shocks - body up - Fox lower control arms). I am now getting started on the rear. I have solid donor axle, but the donor had Eibach Drag shocks and springs (blue)on the car. One spring has an air up"bag" setup inside the spring. Will this setup work on the Cobra? Anyone ever tried this? Please let me know what you think.
Thanks, JK

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
The bag is for drag racing so that side doesn't collapse with the torque of the launch. Keeps the car straighter on launch. Could be useful if that's what you're going to do. Might post in the Drag Racing board if so and see what's up.

I take it you're doing a 4 link? I think everyone says you "must" use cut stock springs so the drag springs probably need to go on craigslist. I went with a 3-link/coilovers so can't say from personal experience.

·
Charter Member
261 Posts
broken shocks

I broke 2 front shocks in the body up position, Bilsteins and Pro shocks. I now have 30k miles on Pro's in the body down position with no problems. The Pro's that broke had previously been mounted body down until I switched lower control arms. They broke after 2k miles body up "because that's what the racers do". Breaking a shock at 60mph requires a change of underwear. I would never ever mount the front shocks body up again.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,238 Posts
My .02

Have 13K on my Pro's .... body up .... 1/3 of the mileage is on track .... using newer FFR lowers and verified zero interference in all positions, also run 750 & 800 lb front springs ...... front shocks break mostly from side load caused in two ways -- a bind in the LCA, a bind in the rod end or a soft spring not rotating properly when compressed inducing a load on the shock .... Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marty, I want to be sure that I understand correctly also. The shaft on yours is pointing towards the top correct? I contacted Factory Five on this, and they said that it did not matter, but it would be easier to adjust ride height and the unsprung wt is better with the "body up"? I originally had them with the body down and the shafts upward, but flipped them over after the conversation. The pic in the MarkII book shows them both ways, but noted that body up pic was for FFR lower control arms.

So you are more comfortable with them body down, correct? Thanks for the feedback.
JK

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Pro Shock run fine either way. Just make sure as Pat says....there are no binding/prying issues. I run mine body up (13K and a bunch of track miles) because I have the old style FFR lower control arms and they will "pry" across the mount in body down mode. That's why the book shows different mountings....depended on what control arms you're using. Take the springs off and move them through their entire range of travel to check.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I don't know anything about drag springs, but I did run my donor springs UN-CUT for a couple of years on my car. You don't have to cut the stock springs. They are a pain to get on the perch. I have upgraded to 3 Link with coil overs.

I have about 11 K miles on my proshocks up front on my Fox front end. Done the way the assembly manual said to. Yes - check for clearance.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,495 Posts
Problem w/ cutting the rear springs per the manual is they can end up too short which means you can't get the car high enough. i have a pair of mustang springs that i just opened up the ends on, rather than cutting them off.if you need them,$10-15 ought to cover shipping and get them out of my attic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts