Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering my clutch and would just like to make sure I have it right the first time. I have a 1974 351W. I am using an aluminum bellhousing with a Tremmec 3550 transmission. I have a billet 157 tooth, 28oz imb. flywheel.

(1) The way I understand it, I will need a 10.5" diaphragm clutch with 10 spline. Does this seem correct?

(2) In 1974 they used a 164 tooth flywheel and 11" clutch. For the Cobra I need the 157 tooth and 10.5" clutch. What year Mustang should I use for reference when ordering the clutch? Or should I just give the specs and not reference a particular year?

Thanks guys,
Doug

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,617 Posts
You will need a 87-93 5.0 clutch. Make sure you get a good one. Many of the clutches available will not hold the torque of a good 351.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Hi Gordon, What do you recommend?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gordon, you're the best!
AC4ME,
I am going with the Centerforce II. I have it in my '64 Mustang and I have been very happy with it. It has a 302 with about 320HP and has been driven hard. 4+ years (with 2,000 miles a year)with no clutch issues. It keeps the stock pedal feel also. I'm not going too wild with my 351W, I feel it will hold up fine. There's alot of good choices out there though. Take care,
Doug

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Doug,
If you are using the 164 tooth flywheel the 10.5" Mustang clutch (uses a 157 tooth with metric attaching bolts) won't fit. Also most performance 11" Ford Long Style clutches won't fit a cable linkage Mustang release setup. Be sure whatever you purchase will fit your flywheel bolt pattern.
Call me with any questions.
Mike Forte

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,
I am using a 157 tooth flywheel for use with 10.5" clutch so I should be all set. I will need the hardware/fork and other things though. I'll be calling you soon, I have a list together, I just need to find a day off to take a ride up there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts