Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First let me start by saying that I am right now in the planning stage of my future build, and I have many questions. I see that this forum is a great place for information. I have already tried to use the search function for the answer to this question, but I was unsuccessful. I am planning a non-donor build with the FFR complete kit. I plan on going with the IRS set up and see that I need the 8.8" center section, rear spindles, and brakes (as listed in the FFR brochure). I see where I can buy the pumpkin center section for around $1200, that is no problem, and I plan on going with the FFR Performance Wilwood brake upgrade. So my questions is this... what else do I need? It looks like I just need rear spindles, is that the case, can it really be that simple? What spindles do I need exactly? From a Thunderbird or Cobra or regular Mustang? Does anyone have a factory part number for these and/or a good source for these parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You will need spindles from a tbird or mark viii and a set of hubs for the mustang cobra if you are going with the 5-lug pattern. The axles come with the kit.

Steve

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Get spindles from Lincoln MKIII or Tbird at junk yard, buy cobra hubs and bearings from Ford Racing as well as poly bushings from VPM and send it all to Stu Spencer to clean, blast, paint, put in new bearings, hubs, and bushings. They will be perfect and half the cost of buying them from Ford Racing.

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1340676047.231607.jpg

Here is what mine looked like when I got them back from Stu.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ditto on the T-Bird spindles/hubs. I got mine form a salvage yard 96 T-Bird SC and had Stu press in new bearings and redrill the hubs. I went with the VPM polyurethane spindle bushings and solid aluminum differential bushings. You don't want to use the rubber FFR diff bushings with a solid mount on the rear cover.

Paul

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
I’m running the full MK VIII on mine. Stu did the rework on the spindles, well worth waiting for. He dose great work. X2 on the Poly bushings and the aluminum mounts for the center section. I got the aluminum mounts from one of our venders here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you go the junk yard route, just make sure the T-bird or Cougar that you're pulling the parts from is a V8 or SC/Turbo V6 model, or the center section will be 7.5 vs 8.8. All the Lincoln Mark VIII's were 8.8 of course...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not positive, but I think you will need to decide 15 or 17" wheel size in order to purchase the proper size brake rotors.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Keep in mind you can get the 8.8 center section used as well. It was a good project for me while waiting to order the kit. A lot of cleaning, a bit of POR, new bearings, new gears, learned a lot and kept me busy till I was ready to pull the bigger trigger.

-Scott

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
The Lincoln center sections are aluminum housings as well. The Tbird ones are steel.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I bought the entire rear suspension/sub frame from a Lincoln MK 8 and used the aluminum pumpkin as well as the hub carriers and hubs. I had access to a complete industrial machine shop with a large arbor press which was needed to press out the bushing, bearings and especially press out the hub. The MK 8 differential is the same 8.8 as in the Mustang, T-Bird S/C , Cougar S/C except it is aluminum whereas the Cougar/T-Bird is cast iron. FYI I stripped the pumpkin of internals and sent it via UPS to DTS in the Detroit area where they installed the Detroit TrueTrac and a new set of Ford 3.73 gears and sent it back to me for under $1,000. This was a few years ago.

As far as brakes go; I guess that depends a lot on what the primary use of the car is going to be. Mine is primarily a street rod but I do place a high importance on stopping. I’m using the 2 piston PBR brakes in the front and the Lincoln disc brakes in the rear with properly sized master cylinders and a set of Carbotech 1521 brake pads. I am quite pleased and satisfied with the performance.

The money I saved went into an AGR Saginaw power steering pump and costume tuned rack., and ...

Jack

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
I did mine last month for $995

- Center section from Lincoln MKIII from junk yard ($50)
- New Tru-Trac differential ($450)
- New Ford Racing 3.55 Gearset ($140)
- New Ford Racing master rebuild kit ($85)
- New Ford Racing stub shaft pilot bearings ($20)
- Labor - hot tank, clean, & install everything ($250)

Kevin

I bought the entire rear suspension/sub frame from a Lincoln MK 8 and used the aluminum pumpkin as well as the hub carriers and hubs. I had access to a complete industrial machine shop with a large arbor press which was needed to press out the bushing, bearings and especially press out the hub. The MK 8 differential is the same 8.8 as in the Mustang, T-Bird S/C , Cougar S/C except it is aluminum whereas the Cougar/T-Bird is cast iron. FYI I stripped the pumpkin of internals and sent it via UPS to DTS in the Detroit area where they installed the Detroit TrueTrac and a new set of Ford 3.73 gears and sent it back to me for under $1,000. This was a few years ago.

As far as brakes go; I guess that depends a lot on what the primary use of the car is going to be. Mine is primarily a street rod but I do place a high importance on stopping. I’m using the 2 piston PBR brakes in the front and the Lincoln disc brakes in the rear with properly sized master cylinders and a set of Carbotech 1521 brake pads. I am quite pleased and satisfied with the performance.

The money I saved went into an AGR Saginaw power steering pump and costume tuned rack., and ...

Jack

·
Registered
918 Posts
Keven: you did good.

That's kind of the game we play: try to save the money where we can, knowing the money is going to be spent.

Jack

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Exactly, the savings went to the brakes. The aluminum casings are all the same and new ones from Ford Racing a crazy expensive. I liked the idea of getting it out of a Lincoln since it is a couch on wheels and most likey not abused. It had a 2.73 open differential. How crazy could you get with that in a Lincoln?

Keven: you did good.

That's kind of the game we play: try to save the money where we can, knowing the money is going to be spent.

Jack

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the info. Looks like I may be hitting up the local junk yards looking for a MKVIII pumpkin and spindles and having them worked over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts