Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other fuel cells out there that will fit besides the "Fues Safe" ones people have here? A grand seems a little high to me, any info appreciated, Scott

·
FFCobra Fanatic
690 Posts
Fuel safe and the other manu's make a plethora of fuel cell designs. If one was the least bit handy with a weder, and had some spare 3/4" tubing, it isn't all that tough to adapt much less expensive cells to the FFR frame. The Fuel Safe cell FFR sells has, as it's strong point, the bolt in ability for 94+ Mustangs, and the straight across swapping of EFI modules, connectors and assorted wizardry. FFR sells you the bracket needed to install the cell, no reason one couldn't do the same with a different cell altogether.

Greg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
$1,000????

I paid $640 for my FFR supplied Fuel safe cell...

did it go up that much?

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
The Plastic fuel cell is $630.00

The Aluminum one is $1050.00

Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg/Green Goblin, is there any particular reason the fuel safe cell hangs down so low? I would probably pop for the plastic one, but it really looks like sh-t (in my opinion.) Your paint job looks really great by the way, Scott

·
FFCobra Fanatic
690 Posts
Scott,
It sits so low due to a couple of things, 1, the size, at 22 gallons, it has to be pretty big and 2, the fit into the FFR chassis. This tank is gigantic, in overall size, and the room under the swoopy FFR body is minimal, at best. Remember, this tank is really for 94+ SN95 Mustangs. I agree, by the way, I don't care for the way it hangs down either, but after spending the $100 for it, it kind of grew on me

If I were doing it over again, I would get a new Mustang OEM tank, less muss and fuss.

Greg

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
This winter I am going to once again reinvent the wheel and weld up a custom aluminum fuel cell to fit up into the FFR frame better. It will also have a bottom/rear sump to insure no pressure drops during hard drag race launches. This will also allow me to run my fuel tank low during drag racing.

The walls on my plastic fuel safe are starting to distort inward. The tank is vented via the stock plastic vent, and I installed per FFR instructions. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

craig

·
FFCobra Fanatic
607 Posts
It seems to me that what we need here is a real answer that includes a name, part no. and phone no. or website, to find that elusive "perfect" fuel cell. Not a gas tank, a FUEL CELL. As critical as this thing can be to the safety of us all, I think we need someone to step forward with something that doesnt do all of the bad things posted by all of the above guys who are in search of the perfect one. So maybe we should outline our ideas of what that is, so one of the guys who does this for a living can come up with it. What we have so far is: shouldnt hang down too far, so lets say less capacity. Maybe between 16 and 18 gallons. Shouldnt be difficult to figure out, or need so much guesswork on the part of the installer. after all, a mistake here can get someone killed. Shouldnt be something made for wrong year mustang "but can be made to work". I dont want to use a hammer to install my fuel cell. Post some of this type of input guys, and lets see if we can make someone rich selling us a great fuel cell that is a no-brainer for us to use. I know Im waiting for it to show up. List your ideas, OR name the great one that you have found, INCLUDING a lead on who to see. Some of the guys at other forums give great ideas,options,links, and so on. A proper,safe and reliable fuel cell rates right up there in importance with the the brakes and steering. No room for error.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The FFR Fuel Cell option is safe, reliable, and easy to install. Some just think it is an eye sore becasue it hangs low. The stock tank hangs low too though. The main reason for my change, is I decided I want a rear/bottom sump for drag racing, and figured I'd weld something up. The universal drag race fuel cells interfere with my rear sway bar.

craig

·
FFCobra Fanatic
607 Posts
So maybe all it takes is for FFR to be paying attention here and offering more than one size fuel cell. I am not using the mustangs motor, EFI, or gas tank.( 351/408 with carb ) I just want a safe cell that doesnt look too big for the job, and dont see the need for 22 gallons of fuel. If you are drag racing, I would think that running low on fuel and possibly having it be pushed away from the sump is a bad thing since you can use about a half tank of gas back there to help it hook up.Any input from a dragracer who has tried More/less fuel and can tell us if we need the traction or need to save the weight to get the E.T. down? Show me a cell that is tucked in, holds 15-18 gallons and is baffled to keep the sump wet. Do the math. 15 gallons at 15 MPG highway (in overdrive, 2000lb car, this should be doable) is over a 200 mile range. gas stations just arent that far apart.

·
Charter Member
272 Posts
I didn't much care for the mustang fuel cell either, considering the hump, the ugly box hanging below the body look, and enough holes to question its value as a fuel cell.

Fuel Safe built me a custom cell for only a little more than the Mustang version. It is still ~20 gallons, and tucks out of the way nicely, so you can't see it from the rear.

·
Charter Member
272 Posts
The price was $1247, which includes these options:
6x10 multi location fill plate with 8AN vent
45 deg remote fill valve
surge tank
fuel pickup kit
electronic fuel sender

·
Charter Member
272 Posts
The dimensions are 38" wide, 15" deep, and 9" tall, with a 3" tall, 4" deep chamfer on the rear edge.

The filler tube does come through the trunk, but with as minimal invasion as possible. Putting the filler on the side compromises the fuel cell. I considered trying to route around the trunk, but the filler path would most likely have enough bend to make filling up a painfully slow process with the highly sensitive auto shutoff mechanisms these days.

I do need to build a protective cover plate for the trunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts