Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll call Mark Reynolds in the AM, but I'm on the forum now, so what the heck. Here goes:

I purchased the Breeze Alternator Relocation Bracket, that moves the alternator to the driver's side of the engine. I started installing it tonight (super product, by the way), and all went perfect until the last bolt. The bolt that goes through the alternator and into the cylinder head is a 7/16" and 6 1/4" long. The hole in the head is 5/8", so the setup won't work. I checked the passenger side head, and the hole in the head is in fact 7/16". This is a donor motor that I rebuilt, and from what I've read, the stock heads are exactly the same, so they can be swapped left to right. I'm sitting here thinking that I may have swapped the heads when I reassembled the engine, but I plugged the holes in the back of the heads (where the smog plumbing attached) with 5/8" plugs from FMS, so I know both the holes in the back of the heads are 5/8".

So, it appears the only 7/16" hole out of the 4 on the heads is on the front passenger side.

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Helicoil, maybe?

[ February 12, 2007, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: gbranham ]

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went out and looked again, and I think I found the answer. The passenger side head hole appears to have an insert that adapts the 5/8" hole to 7/16". This hole is used by the stock alt bracket/tensioner pulley bracket. I can't seem to get the insert out, but I do have another pair of stock heads at my father's house. I'll check them tomorrow. If all else fails, perhaps a reverse-threaded 7/16" bolt would get it out.

Sounds like I may have solved my own problem.

I wonder why that driver's side front head hole is 5/8"? Perhaps the long threaded rod that came out during engine teardown (I think the rod held part of the P/S setup) brought the threaded insert with it?

Oh well, just rambling. It's late.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
The Ford plug for the crossover tubes has threads inside of the plug. Thats what your seeing. the inside threads of the plug.

The plug goes in with a large flat head driver. I doubt you'll get one out without tearing it up.

Vendors have them here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts