Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing our Vintage Look system on another car. We've tested it on a couple of heavily modified engines before, but this is the first basically stock engine I've used it on. We took a basic Mustang Gt 302 engine (225 HP), and removed the manifold and throttle body, and the heads. Then we bolted on a set of AFR 165's with 1.7 rockers, and our injection system. We left the stock Mustang cam in place. We also bumped the injector size up to 30lbs, and ran our mass air meter calibrated accordingly.

I wanted to accomplish two things...

(1) The other two engines did not surge or stall with our injection system (like they typically would with stock type pieces in open loop). I wanted to verify this again on something basically stock. Sure enough...no surge or stall.

(2) I wanted to spend some time on the road with our system on a basically stock engine and check for drivabilty issues. This was tough to do on our other engines, because they were anything but stock. The two heavily modified engines had absolutely no issues whatsoever, which I feel is a major accomplishment. Given what they are, they should run like crap as daily drivers, but this is not the case. They run beautifully when cold in open loop, and go like crazy when on the road, with no issues at all. Throttle response is awesome, no surge at low rpm cruise...perfect. But would a stock to mildly built engine be the same? Only one way to find out. I've spent a few hours now on the road in this basically stock engined car. No surge, great throttle response, great driveability. It's just awesome.

Sorry if I'm rambling... this has been a long road...I'm just happy that it turned out better than expected. I knew it would be good. I hoped it would be great. It's fantastic!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Chris,
Sounds like you have hit upon a winner! Good luck with future testing.

Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
That is exactly the set up I've been thinking about. Did you do the installation with the engine in the car or is it easier to pull it? I'd love to see the dyno results on this combination. Any estimate on the improvement in horsepower and torque over the stock engine?

·
1,123 Posts
Good job, Chris!!!! This is going to be a GREAT system and am looking forward to recieving mine.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys!

Frank, Did it all right in the car. There's plenty of room to work in there.

I'm going to try to get to the dyno before the customer picks up the car. As you probably know, this combination of heads, cam and rockers is supposed to produce approx 400hp at the flywheel. After yesturday's adventures on the road, I'd say that's accurate.

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
Another fine report Chris.

I'm curious about what your dyno test will show so will definately be monitoring this thread. I am going to be using AFR 185's, a different cam, larger fuel pump, etc. so I would expect to be slightly over the 400 flywheel HP. Your input will affirm that.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
COngratz,..I'm really happy to hear that =)

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Will you take a rack mounted guitar rig and 2x12 cabinet I'm not using in trade for one of your cool systems?

I'd offer you some other things from my house, but don't think I have any other collectible's worth it in trade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts