Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a 4link setup with coil overs, what do quad shocks 'do'? I see a lot of people run without them, but for those that continue to use them, what benefit do they provide?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If memory serves me correct quad shocks are used on the IRS. They hook to the upper single arm to limit wheel hop induced buy the deflection of the lower A arm bushings as applied torque accelerates the car. This is a weak spot in the IRS set up and much discussion has taken place about how to eliminate it.
HTH CB

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
They will help reduce wheel hop on your 4 link setup.

If you need them likely depends on your hp level.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
2001C5
Now I am confused (which is normal, just ask my wife). How are the quad shocks connected on the 4 link? I thought the 4 link provided an upper and lower arm om each side to prevent axle rotation? Like to see a picture of this if someone can provide one it would be a learning experience for me.
Thanks
CB

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
I called tech support at factory five about this. Bob told me not to use them and to set the upper control arms to the lowest hole regardless of HP.

Todd

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Cobradawg:
Thanks for the picture, looks like it does the same thing as regards wheel hop as the IRS set up. I guess I was thinking about a drag car 4-link which has a solid link above and below the axle centerline located at the same point on the outside of the axle. With the quad shock as shown above I quess you could call this a six link set up.
Thanks again:
CB

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
There are also upper and lower control arms in the pics above, you just can not see them.

If you are counting every connection to the rear end i guess you could call it a 8 link...because there are 2 upper control arms, 2 lower control arms, 2 coil overs and 2 quad shocks.

mine is not attached to the car right now..I will try to post some pics showing the upper and lower arms and the coilovers and quads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts