Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still acquiring parts from a variety of sources instead of a single donor. I have a Fox Body rear end, and I was looking at the page that lists out all the donor vehicle parts you need and it mentions the Quad Shocks with mounts. I've been able to find the quad shocks on rockauto easy enough. Just had to figure out the non-Ford term is an axle damper. But I can't seem to find the mounts, are these actually something separate from the rear end that you can buy, or do I have to go in search of an actual fox body donor to get them. Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The quad shock mount is on the body of the donor car. It is only used with the donor 4 link suspension. Here are pictures from the manual and as installed on my car with the Koni coil over. I had to modify the mount to move it rearward to gain clearance between the quad shock and the coil over.

HTH

Norm

Attachments

Reactions: Livewire80

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the question now is, since I don't have a specific donor car, does anyone know what the part number is for the mount and where I can find it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No idea on the part number. Try your closest auto wreckers. You may find a donor you don't have to take home.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,197 Posts
What rear suspension are you planning? The quads are only used w/ the 4 link. The axle end mount is a permanent welded on part of the axle housing. You can see them here. The ears sticking up a couple of inches inside of the brake drum.
s-l300.jpg (300×225) (ebayimg.com)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the Base Kit with the Mustang OEM 4-link. I have the foxbody axle housing, so I'm set on the at end. I'm trying to track down the mount that attaches to the frame. I'm going off of the Donor parts sheet in the manual FF sent me and it calls it out as something from the donor. So just trying to cover my bases ahead of time, It's the last thing on the list I need to find.

Looks like these are it,

87-93 Ford Mustang 8.8 Axle Quad Shock Brackets Quadrant Shocks Mount Factory OE | eBay

Just trying to find a part number so I can maybe buy new or track down a set on car-part.com

·
Charter Member
1,060 Posts
In my opinion the 3-link is a big improvement for these cars. If you are spending money trying to get a complete 4-link assembled, consider the 3-link upgrade as another path. You will thank yourself later when you don't have wheel hop issues.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,197 Posts
It's been a long time since I actually looked at a quad shock so I went to look again at Norm's pics. I had completely forgotten about that mount at the frame end. The good thing is that, if you can't find one, it would be easy to bend up from some 1/8x1.5 inch flat steel.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Are you planning to use the Mustang rear springs with the FFR spring perch mounts? If you are, I have a set of mounts, modified with a clamping system to stop the spring from working loose and lowering your ride height that you can have. You will still need the springs. PM me with your address if interested.
Having said that, I would get the coil overs. The spring rate of the Mustang spring doesn’t match the front coil overs very well. The rear suspension was much softer than the front. I tried a stiffer shock to rectify this but, it only helped a little. This softer rate causes some “interesting” and not comfortable handling characteristics in spirited driving scenarios.

HTH

Norm

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Do yourself a big favor, get ride of the 4 link and go to the 3 link. A small $$$ increase for a big improvement in handling and ride.

·
Junior Charter Member
103 Posts
Agree with Robert and Rich, install 3 link during your initial build. Retrofit later is messy with all the sheet metal cutting, grinding and drilling. 3 link greatly improves the ride and handling. In my Mark III the conversion to 3 link eliminated issues I had with rear end binding too.

Suggest reading:

It includes a parts list (2018) from Breeze, VPM and Factory Five.

Good luck with the build!
Nate

·
Junior Charter Member
52 Posts
Live wire,

I had the 4 link on my mklll initially. I wish Factory Five had made the quad shock section more clear. It confused me more than just about anything I encountered. But I would ask that you research the rear suspension carefully and perhaps after doing so you will decide on the 4 link with cool overs at the very least. Yes, stay away from quad shocks. It is cumbersome and not more than a compromise in your build. You would do better to convert to a 3 link plan with coil overs. I modified my 4 link by adding a bracket on the pumpkin and one on the upper 4 link brackets to accommodate a 3 link arm centered on top of the axle. It is perfectly symetrical and non binding. Instead of the pan hard bar, I used a watts link mounted on a crossmember using the quad shock brackets for support. So the propeller on the watts link floats behind the diff and the pan hard bars are attached to the axles. If you are interested, I can send you diagrams and parts. I got much of my design from Tony on the far forum. I don't think he would mind sharing. It has been a while but I have pics of the setup. Do avoid the quad shocks though.

Good luck,

WEK

·
6,326 Posts
On earlier IRS builds utilizing the T Bird knuckles unless you converted to urethane bushings you could experience wheel hop with big HP. I did and added the quad shocks which fixed the condition. I know a lot of folks say you don't need them BUT, they don't hurt and they will help eliminate a potential annoying condition. In the end it all depends on your setup but if you experience wheel hop you know what to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the insight everyone. My goal for the build is as much building the car as it is learning about each section and how it all works together. Based on reading and comments and forum searches it sounds like coil overs are at a minimum if staying with the 4 link and those have some clearance issues with quad shocks, but I suppose that's half the fun of building a car, solving these issues.

On the subject Coilovers, it seems like the consensus is the Koni from FFR or QA1 from various vendors. Are adjustable from these two the only solution anyone is running, or are they're other vendors or non-adjustable options out there folks are using? Based on what I've found it sounds like about a 17.5" extended shock is the size to look for, and depending on the ride your looking for various LB ratings on the springs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts