Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've identified 3 holes in the 5.0L block that lead into the water jacket.

On the passenger side is a single hole where I can fit a 1/2"-13 bolt into.

On the driver side, there are two: anohter 1/2"-13 bolt size and anohter which I believe is 7/16" but I don't know the pitch ( 16? ).

Question 1: how do I go about plugging up the 3 holes? First though is to use brass plugs but I can't find any in these sizes; next, use bolts.

Question 2: what is the acutal pitch of the 7/16" hole?

TIA.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Herman,

I just stopped by your site to check it out, and noticed that you had 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 as the firing order instead of the 302 HO/351 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. If you’re using a replacement cam for the HO series, you need to wire the engine with the 302 HO/351 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order.

Hank

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HankL: dang you're good. I was following Tom Monroe's book. Now that you mention it, I checked my Chilton's Mustang manual and sure enough, it's 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 as you said.

I'm guessing the firing order I have if for all the older 289/302 motors. Thanks for your help even though it's off topic!!!

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Herman,

To get back on topic, I believe that any holes that lead to a water jacket would take a pipe thread fitting. They should be 1/4 pipe who's outer diameter is about 7/16, but there is always the chance that one or two are different.

Hank

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good try hank. Anyone else? I've seen some brass pipe plugs which I'd like to use but have not seen them in the sizes I need. Maybe cross-post to Mr. Levy...

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Jonn; I'll do that on my lunch break here...

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, no joy. The closest they come is 1/4" pipe size but the pitch is all wrong ( 13 threads per inch.) 1/4" pipe is a bit too fine.

At this point, I'll try Orchard Supply but if that fails, I'll stick with bolts and HEAVY teflon tape (or Loc-Tite Red).

PS: I think I figured out the size of the 3rd hole; it's probably 7/16"-20. The thread chaser I have is 7/16"-16 but I did note it seemed a lot finer but tried the coarse thread chaser anyway. Now I got a slight amount of cross treading but I think it'll hold fine; this one's getting baked on Loctite Red just in case though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts