Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on getting the pieces together for power steering w/ the Mustang rack, Heidts valve(mounted just behind the radiator) and PS pump mounted just forward and under the driver side engine head(Quality Roadsters AC w/ PS).Last question is the reservoir.What have you guys used? And where mounted? Thanks
Craig

·
1,123 Posts
Remote reservoir from Chris, Quality Roadsters. (Canton Racing product)

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
I had this same issue a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I'm doing: I'm using a KRC aluminum power steering pump and a KRC remote reservoir. The problem is that the reservoir outlet needs to be higher than the pump inlet; unfortunately we don't have a lot of acceptable p.s. reservoir mounting locations in our cars. I could have went the same way Dan did (see above post) but I went a different route. I decided to use the x member that's in front of the engine to mount the reservoir. Since I couldn't just bolt the power steering reservoir to the x member I decided to build a bracket that I can bolt to the x member and then bolt the p.s. reservoir to the bracket.

So I got some thin scrap material (Masonite?) from Home Depot to build a template for the new bracket. The bracket I built is x-shaped like the FFR cross brace x member and made out of quarter inch aluminum plate. The driver side of the bracket has a mounting pad so that I can bolt the reservoir to the bracket. And the pad is high enough so that the outlet from the reservoir is higher that the pump inlet.

I'm also going to mount my new fuel pressure regulator and coolant recovery tank on the new aluminum bracket.

Be aware that I just had the bracket cut to shape last week and I still need to finish cleaning it up and drill and tap it for the p.s. reservoir, fuel pressure regulator and coolant recovery tank, but it looks like it'll be a clean solution to the reservoir mounting problem.

Let me know if you have any questions. And I could post a pic or two of the mounting bracket if you're interested.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan, That looks good-I guess I'll call Chris tomorrow.Couple questions-1-Why did you mount the reservoir on the passenger side away from both pump and rack.2-How did you attach the AN feed line to the pump.My salvage Explorer pump has rubber hose w/ clamp type inlet fitting.3-After I install the 93 and prior water pump,pulley,and crank pulleys on my 94 engine I'll have the same setup as you except..alternater.Finally ordered a March alt bracket last night.Is you a modified factory unit?
Jim- when you can a few pics would be great.I've also been thinking about tidying up some of the misc stuff in that area also.
Thanks, Craig

·
1,123 Posts
1- Clean Look. To much clutter on the driver side.
2-The -10AN fitting is only on the reservoir side. The pump side is attached with a hose clamp and covered with the a clamp cover.
3-Stock Mustang alternator brackets with a 3G alternator.

Good Luck!!! Chris is very busy so I hope you can get him on the phone.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
Craig, here's a few pics I took tonight of my bracket:

The first one is the bracket off the car:

The next two show the bracket mounted on the x-member:

And the last one shows my KRC pump:

Note that the three holes at the bottom-center of the bracket are for my remote oil filter mount. Also, the reservoir is now mounted high enough that it shouldn't have any problem supplying my pump and I still have around 1.5 inches clearance between the top of the reservoir and my hood. You can also see how I mounted my coolant recovery tank and the fuel pressure regulator to the bracket.

Hope this helps.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim and Dan-Thanks to both of you.Real nice weather this weekend so don't want the car down.But will do a mockup.Ck for clearances,hose diameter matches etc.Than Wed and Thur off work so hopefully PS by Thur PM.I've saved several of your pics for reference.Thanks so much to both of you!
Craig

·
Senior Charter Member
6,517 Posts
I routed my steering shaft to clear the stock locaton of the pump. In the end I thought that if I wanted to go with a big block I would already have the room.

[ April 16, 2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: CRZN427 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts