Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have the polishied aluminum Ford Motorsports Cobra valve covers, the drivers side has the breather cap, and the passenger side has an opening that looks lik it is for some type of twist on cap, my question is do I need a PVC calve, and if so, where do I get the grommet for the PVC valve? Any pictures would be nice too.
Thanks,
Lile

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
It probalby wouldn't hurt to have it. When you buy a new PCV valve at the parts store, they give you a new grommet too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Leave the breather cap in place. Install a gromet in the opposite valve cover. Gromets can be found at most auto stores and even on the "Help" racks at places like Auto zone,vendors here,ect. Run a hose from the pcv valve to the fitting on the base of the carb. You should really run one.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Just like American Express "Dont leave home without it" Definatly run one.

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
pvc valve? where can I get one!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
As I understand, leaving the PCV off will allow the crank case to build up pressure causing oil leaks at the seals.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, now does anyone have a part number for one, or what year Mustang I should use for a refrence when I ask at the parts store.
Lile

·
934 Posts
I was told by Chris @ Mass-Flo that it wasn't needed and that my single breather vent was sufficient :confused:

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Lile,
I faced the same issue. A carb car needs a PCV on one cover and a breather on the other. If you don't put them in, you'll create a pressure trap in the engine that will result in oil leaks or a blown crank seal. Check out this post for the answer. The grommet was designed for a sheet metal valve cover. In order to use it on the cast cover, I had to trim the ears closes to the flange. To insure it stays in place I put a little silocon gasket sealer on before twisting it in place. Seems to work OK.

PCV Grommet for Cast Cobra Valve cover

Regards,
Pete

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Definitely use a PCV on your setup (same as mine). Im convinced that noy having one ultimately caused me a carb fire that could have turned out much worse. T&L said they had seen a similar issue with another owner. I got mine from a speed shop - nice billet unit with built in PCV. The car runs MUCH better now,
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts