Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the cobra over the weekend, press start button. nothing happens. It's been under cover for a few weeks, so I put a charger on it, now fully charged, 12 volts at the alternator and hot wire at the starter. still nothing. took the button apart to check continuity checks OK, touched the wires, still nothing, so moving toward the starter, I cannot locate the solenoid or the relay (I did not build the car). Any ideas, where to look for these components. 302 crate w/Massflo EFI, Ford A9L ECU.

Thanks for any ideas...

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
474 Posts
Check the wires at the push button. One of them should be hot, with the key on.
If you get hot, then go for the solenoid. You can following wires from the push button or the starter.
You will be looking for something like the pics below, if you have the old style large starter motor.
If you have the new mini starter, as pictured, the small can on top of the starter motor is your solenoid.
Make sure non of the small wires have become disconnected.

Forgot to mention, if you have a kill switch or master disconnect, need to check.
Automotive lighting Circuit component Font Auto part Cylinder

Product Camera lens Digital camera Reflex camera Lens

Gas Auto part Fastener Automotive wheel system Font

Hope this gets you started.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the wires at the push button. One of them should be hot, with the key on.
If you get hot, then go for the solenoid. You can following wires from the push button or the starter.
You will be looking for something like the pics below, if you have the old style large starter motor.
If you have the new mini starter, as pictured, the small can on top of the starter motor is your solenoid.
Make sure non of the small wires have become disconnected.

Forgot to mention, if you have a kill switch or master disconnect, need to check.
View attachment 366303

View attachment 366301
View attachment 366302

Hope this gets you started.
Thanks, I'll check to see if one of the wires at the button are hot. It's definitely not the disconnect, as I have power when I turn on the key. It looks like the solenoid is on the starter, but those are heavy gauge wires connecting to it, the wires off the push button are like 18 gauge, so I'm assuming there is a relay somewhere?

·
Registered
474 Posts
There should be a small wire to the small can (solenoid) on the starter. Take the small wire loose, if attached, put your volt meter on the wire and have someone press the starter button, key and disconnect on.
If it is hot, you need to check your solenoid and or starter.
Let me know what you find.

Automotive lighting Toy Tin Vehicle Headlamp

·
Registered
474 Posts
You might work from your battery out to find check for a solenoid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be a small wire to the small can (solenoid) on the starter. Take the small wire loose, if attached, put your volt meter on the wire and have someone press the starter button, key and disconnect on.
If it is hot, you need to check your solenoid and or starter.
Let me know what you find.

View attachment 366304
I have 2 volts on one wire at the push button. Here is a pic of the starter/solenoid. wires aren't corroded, just a little dirty. the guy I bought it from lived on what looked like a logging road, so I'm still finding dust in places.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Gas Auto part

·
Registered
474 Posts
Two volts sounds like a couple of possible things, bad ground connection, bad battery, dirty contacts in disconnect or other in line switch.
I would turn my headlights on and see if they are bright and stay bright. If you have another high load electrical device, maybe heater fan, turn it on also. Watch for any indication battery cannot carry a load. Battery can show 12 volts and not have amps to function. You can leave battery charger on the battery to see if it corrects any readings.
I would loosen and clean all connections, battery, disconnect, solenoid, starter. Clean ground connections too. Good insurance slowing preventing corrosion.
If you have a key switch before the push button, see if you can get a volt meter reading on the hot wire to the key switch.
If you still have 2 volts, follow that feed wire to its source.
While cleaning connections, be sure to disconnect the negative from the battery. Do not want to see any fireworks when the wrench touches metal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
12 volts at the battery is not sufficient. A charged battery is closer to 14 volts. The battery is not holding a charge and/or has a weak cell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The purple wire triggers the starter relay. Try jumping between the purple and the large red.
mike
[/Q
12 volts at the battery is not sufficient. A charged battery is closer to 14 volts. The battery is not holding a charge and/or has a weak cell.
with the charger on start I'm getting 15 volts and not even getting the starter trying to engage, so even if the battery is bad, it seems like something else is wrong. having the battery tested tomorrow,. but I can run heater fan, headlights and radiator fan with no assistance from charger...

·
7,918 Posts
Cardinalflyer is incorrect. 12 volts is fine while not running. Its a 12 volt battery. It should be at 14.4 when running which tells you it charging. try jumping the purple wire to the large red and see if it starts. Does this car have a traditional key? If so did you try just starting it with the key. I wire them both ways if using a start button. Also check all your fuses.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Do you have a clutch safety switch?
A couple of years ago I tried and tried one spring the get my riding mower going. Finally I replaced the battery and quickly thereafter re-reemembered the "Clutch Safety Switch"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have a clutch safety switch?
It appears that it does, something hanging off the pedal arm, sort of loosely, i can't recall if I've ever started it w/o the clutch being depressed, can I just pull the wires and jump them to bypass?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cardinalflyer is incorrect. 12 volts is fine while not running. Its a 12 volt battery. It should be at 14.4 when running which tells you it charging. try jumping the purple wire to the large red and see if it starts. Does this car have a traditional key? If so did you try just starting it with the key. I wire them both ways if using a start button. Also check all your fuses.
Mike
the key is only 2 position, on / off, no start position. checked all fuses, good. the clutch safety switch is a possibility i'm going to chase down tonight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it is. Just jump the wires and see if it starts. Where are you located?
Mike
I'm in Vancouver, WA. Jumped the wires, still nothing. just had the battery load tested for the second time. It's good. tried starting with the clutch switch open and closed, since I wasn't sure which way it was supposed to be.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,854 Posts
Did you ever try Mikes suggestion of jumping the starter solinoid?? If not do that before you try anything else, that will prove if the starter is ok or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts