Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got all my carbon fiber cloth in. I plan on making my own CF dash and trans cover. But the book sucks at explaining how the wings of the dash should be bent. I can kinda see but wanted to make sure they need to be exact. I want to get the bends then start laying fiber. Any pics or assistance would be great. I used a rattle can to bend them a little.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,879 Posts
There are a couple of schools of thought here. Many like to bend in a curve but then do a 90 deg or so bend outward for the last 3/4 inch. This gives them an end piece parallel to the firewall to run a screw through into the firewall. I prefer to do a slightly looser bend to the end of the dash so it goes over top of the hinge and gets sandwiched between the hinge and the under side of the body.
Dash end by craig stuard, on Flickr
In both cases the ends are not the same length left to right sides.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Per recommendations from the “Jeffs” (Kleiner and da Bat) I cut off 2” from the end of my PS dash and then created a gentle curve and tucked the ends behind the door hinges without securing to the firewall. Also cut the notch on the PS firewall an inch deeper to get clearance for the windshield post now. Easier than doing it after the body’s on

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Per recommendations from the “Jeffs” (Kleiner and da Bat) I cut off 2” from the end of my PS dash and then created a gentle curve and tucked the ends behind the door hinges without securing to the firewall. Also cut the notch on the PS firewall an inch deeper to get clearance for the windshield post now. Easier than doing it after the body’s on
Do you have a pic of notch?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
yup, what jeff said. and don't make the mistake of putting a bulb seal across that notch.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That’s what the forums are for. Just get familiar with how to search for stuff. Lots of info from previous builds waiting to be discovered

1 - 9 of 9 Posts