Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My son and I are going to be purchasing an MK4 roadster in the next few days, and we have absolutely no prior experience working with cars (should be a nice father-son project for the next __ years!). Would love some input from the more experienced members about the engine choice:

Engine choice: We do not intend to race the car, but instead drive it on city and suburb streets and highways. What engine would you recommend purchasing? We don't need to have the loudest, most powerful engine out there but would like an engine that will make the car fun to drive, but won't drain the wallet. Any thoughts on the type of engine, and where I can buy it? We'd like it to come with everything needed to attach it to the provided car parts to allow for an easier install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I'm a huge Coyote fan and highly recommend their crate motor. Runs great and doesn't care how you drive it. Mild or wild. But not going to claim it's the cheapest or the easiest. Based on what you've described (although somewhat limited) I'd suggest a Ford small block from Blueprint Engines. They're a partner with Factory Five and will provide a fully assembled and test engine/trans. If you're not too crazy with the HP, they're fairly reasonable. The small blocks (302, 306, 347) are easy to install with plenty of room. I'd recommend fuel injection for the best experience if your budget allows.

·
Registered
925 Posts
congrats! i'll be a great bonding experience.
I'm still building and inherited a SBF and transmission(1966 289 paired with a T5Z trans) from a buddy who wasn't using it. I'm planning on street driving only and am currently in the go kart stage. From what I can tell, the SBF has plenty of get up and go for such a light car. I hear that Blueprint has some great packages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm building on a budget so i went junkyard LS so i could disassemble/reassemble motor. LS is like legos. it easy to work on and there are a million of them at junkyards. my nephews pick and pull will pull a LS complete for $199. depends on what your looking to get in to. Even Ford's new engine is a push rod engine. but if your just looking to put a new motor in it and do nothing, any motor will work. the Coyote motor is huge and FFR will prep for you. My neighbor went that route. he also has more money in drivetrain than i have in my entire car. ultimately there is no wrong choice.

·
276 Posts
welcome to the fun , my dad and i have built 4 cars and have 2 more in process , we both enjoy the time together , these cars are easy to build they are a blank canvas and no 2 are the same , i like the small block ford in mine with efi i get 25 mpg , but i prefer carb just because im a old school mechanic , and i dont like all the bells and whistles just give me 2 seats 4 tires a lot of horsepower and a manual trans and im good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts